Deworming rules

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
Am I supposed to keep my chickens locked in their run on days I deworm them? Because I just used dewormer a few days ago and didn’t do that. Their poop still looks a bit contaminated. Not sure if that’s normal. No worms are moving, though. Also, there are a bunch of stray animals that roam the neighborhood and they love our yard. I don’t mind the cats so much as they keep the mice and rats away, but there are many possums and raccoons. They are hard to keep out because we have many, many fruit trees and garden beds. Getting rid of tapeworms sort of feels like an impossible task to conquer. I cannot control every bug and animal. Am I overthinking? Should I just be happy I dewormed my flock, keep things as clean as I can and move on? I can deal with bacterias, viruses, fungis, but worms are just so gross to me.

Safeguard dewormer is the best to get rid of worms completely! We had worm issues a little while ago and used this for 3-4 days ( one teaspoon per gallon). Then we waited about 2 weeks and did again to make sure it was taken care of. But you can just wait a few days to see if the worms were taken care of before worrying more!😉

Safeguard dewormer is the best to get rid of worms completely! We had worm issues a little while ago and used this for 3-4 days ( one teaspoon per gallon). Then we waited about 2 weeks and did again to make sure it was taken care of. But you can just wait a few days to see if the worms were taken care of before worrying more!😉
Thanks! I will do another round of medication in two weeks too. If it doesn’t work, I will try safeguard. Had a dream about five days before finding tapeworms in their stool that I had a parasite in my head, so I’ve been REALLY overthinking this. 😫

Am I supposed to keep my chickens locked in their run on days I deworm them? Because I just used dewormer a few days ago and didn’t do that. Their poop still looks a bit contaminated. Not sure if that’s normal. No worms are moving, though. Also, there are a bunch of stray animals that roam the neighborhood and they love our yard. I don’t mind the cats so much as they keep the mice and rats away, but there are many possums and raccoons. They are hard to keep out because we have many, many fruit trees and garden beds. Getting rid of tapeworms sort of feels like an impossible task to conquer. I cannot control every bug and animal. Am I overthinking? Should I just be happy I dewormed my flock, keep things as clean as I can and move on? I can deal with bacterias, viruses, fungis, but worms are just so gross to me.
If you're dealing with tapeworms, use Equimax equine paste.
Trust me, you would rather deal with worms than any types of diseases.

Keep in mind that the good thing about tapeworms is that not all of your birds will be infected with tapeworms unlike roundworm infections.
Infected insects are hosts for tapeworm eggs. It's nearly impossible for all your birds to eat an infected insect and not all insects are tapeworm infected.

Furthermore, you can control the insect population by spraying your yard in sections. Just keep your birds from free ranging in that particular section for a period of time. Or spray your whole yard and keep your birds penned for a period of time.

BTW: Putting wormers in water isnt a very effective way of worming birds. You dont know if a bird drank enough of the treated water to be effective or if they drank it at all. Sick birds rarely drink or dont drink at all. Direct dosing each bird one at a time is best. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

If you're dealing with tapeworms, use Equimax equine paste.
Trust me, you would rather deal with worms than any types of diseases.

Keep in mind that the good thing about tapeworms is that not all of your birds will be infected with tapeworms unlike roundworm infections.
Infected insects are hosts for tapeworm eggs. It's nearly impossible for all your birds to eat an infected insect and not all insects are tapeworm infected.

Furthermore, you can control the insect population by spraying your yard in sections. Just keep your birds from free ranging in that particular section for a period of time. Or spray your whole yard and keep your birds penned for a period of time.

BTW: Putting wormers in water isnt a very effective way of worming birds. You dont know if a bird drank enough of the treated water to be effective or if they drank it at all. Sick birds rarely drink or dont drink at all. Direct dosing each bird one at a time is best. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.
My biggest concern is my five year old son. He helps me every morning collect eggs, let the chickens out of their run to free range and change their water. Our fruit trees are in the area where they free range and our apricot trees are flourishing right now. We are very involved with our chickens. I havent let my son in the area since I noticed tapeworms. I have been avoiding the area as much as possible without neglecting the chickens. The flock recieved praziquantel, although, one bird is extremely stubborn and refuses to let me hold her. She sleeps in the far end of the coop where I cannot reach. I suspect she has worms because she is thin, losing feathers and ever so mean to her sisters when it comes to food. It also doesn't help that I actually had a dream I had a parasite in my head days just before seeing worms in their poop so my mind is on overdrive.

Last edited:
You don’t have to lock them in their coop after de worming - let the medication do it’s job. You’re right - you can’t control every bug they eat and it’s a waste of time to worry about it. Just be proactive when your flock does have worms. I wouldn’t worm them unless you know for sure they have them; worming chickens regularly can cause them to build up immunities to the de wormer. Some people like to worm regularly but will switch back and forth from ivermectin to safeguard not prevent building immunity to either one. Someone who has really good knowledge on worming is @Wyorp Rock

You don’t have to lock them in their coop after de worming - let the medication do it’s job. You’re right - you can’t control every bug they eat and it’s a waste of time to worry about it. Just be proactive when your flock does have worms. I wouldn’t worm them unless you know for sure they have them; worming chickens regularly can cause them to build up immunities to the de wormer. Some people like to worm regularly but will switch back and forth from ivermectin to safeguard not prevent building immunity to either one. Someone who has really good knowledge on worming is @Wyorp Rock
Thank you. They definitely have worms. I saw the little white segmants moving. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. Hopefully they havent been infested too long. They are only about a year old.

Safeguard and Ivermectin wont treat tapeworms, period. Ivermectin wont treat large roundworms, been there done that years ago. Stick with praziquantel, it'll take care of tapeworms.
Get someone to hold the stubborn hen for you. Then pull its wattles down and her mouth will open. Then quickly give her the wormer and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow it. Done.

Safeguard and Ivermectin wont treat tapeworms, period. Ivermectin wont treat large roundworms, been there done that years ago. Stick with praziquantel, it'll take care of tapeworms.
Get someone to hold the stubborn hen for you. Then pull its wattles down and her mouth will open. Then quickly give her the wormer and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow it. Done.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom