Deworming/treating for Coccidosis for Dummies

Aberhallo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
I am a brand new chicken owner and have a small flock of 4 hens.

One looks to have a bit of diarrhea. hopefully it wasn't from the blueberries/grapes I've been using to try to tame them lol

I can't yet handle my hens, 3 out of 4 will take treats from my hand, but I can't pick them up or pet them yet.

I was wondering if you would suggest I treat for coccidosis and/or deworm them all as a precaution/maintenance type of thing. They have only given me one egg in the week they've been here, so seems as good a time as any to do it for the withdrawal times.

How do I treat them if I can't handle them yet?

Can I get a dewormer to put in the water for them?

What would you guys suggest?

It wouldn't hurt to treat them. Corid is an easy thing to give in the water for coccidiosis, but that water has to be their only source, Are they enclosed in a pen? Do they roost in a coop at night? When they roos you won't have any trouble grabbing them to worm them. A headlamp would come in handdy for this operation. If you can afford Valbazen, it's the best wormer because you just dose one time and then one more 10 days later. I don't know the withdrawal time, but there are other threads you can look up that would tell you this. Safeguard liquid goat wormer is also a good choice, but it takes more doses - once a day for 5 days. I think the dosage is .23mil./pound.

This thread has a lot of great info and pictures to show how to administer the wormer. Good luck!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing/20

That's great, thanks. I will get a head lamp for sure, that sounds like the easier way to do it.

I'll see if I can find the Valbazen, do feed stores carry this? Can deworms and treat for coccidosis simultaneously?

That's great, thanks. I will get a head lamp for sure, that sounds like the easier way to do it.

I'll see if I can find the Valbazen, do feed stores carry this? Can deworms and treat for coccidosis simultaneously?
Yes you can deworm and use Corid safely at the same time. Places like Tractor Supply do usually carry Valbazen. It's just pricey. In that thread I referred, @casportpony has a link to a cheaper source in a smaller quantity.

Back
Top Bottom