Deworming with Wazine/Ivermectin vs DE

brianp

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
I am planning to deworm my 2 hens (1 SLW, 1 Buff O) that are 1.5 yrs old with Wazine followed up by ivermectin. Is there something else I should be doing? Im considering food grade DE as an alternative. Does it work as well and how often do I give it to them?

Also, I have 5 chicks that are 6 weeks old. Should I also deworm them now or wait? If so would the doees be the same? RIght now they are in a brooder, but about to move outside this weekend since its warming up here in GA.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Quote:
DE does not work as a wormer it does not work in a wet environment. You plan sounds right you will not have to worm the chicks until they are a year old. There are a couple of great threads on here with great information do a search using the search in the blue bar and see what comes up.

Schellie69 is correct, DE is ineffective when wet, until it dries. The insides of chicken innards are wet, therefore ineffective. It is not a worm preventative neither.

DE is great as a duster for the mites. i was told to use apple sider vinager to worm with. just add to the water they drink for a week then again in 6 days later. they say it keeps the green stuff out of the water to. think im going to try it.

Quote:
You are misinformed about apple cider vinegar (ACV) being a wormer. It is not a wormer. ACV is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut PH to help with bacterial issues. Dosage is one tablespoon per gallon of water.

Quote:
You are misinformed about apple cider vinegar (ACV) being a wormer. It is not a wormer. ACV is an acidifier which helps in calcium absorption and lower gut PH to help with bacterial issues. Dosage is one tablespoon per gallon of water.

Yup - yup.

The very best IMHO is Ivermectin Eprinex for cattle; it's off label, and some folks recommend using it twice yearly; I use it once yearly, and have had no issues with worms or external parasites. It's pricey, but in my opinion, worth the peace of mind.

ETA: I've also heard really good things about Valbazen, but I am unaware where to find it or the proper dosage.

Last edited:
Quote:

Yup - yup.

The very best IMHO is Ivermectin Eprinex for cattle; it's off label, and some folks recommend using it twice yearly; I use it once yearly, and have had no issues with worms or external parasites. It's pricey, but in my opinion, worth the peace of mind.

ETA: I've also heard really good things about Valbazen, but I am unaware where to find it or the proper dosage.

Jefferslivestock.com is about the cheapest to place to find Valbazen. Dosage is orally, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. There's a 14 day withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom