Ivermectin & Tylen (Tylosin) at the same time safe?

BuckarooBonzai

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2023
My 4yr old Barred Rock hen is in the middle of a rough molt. I upgraded her food w/o transition & shortly after, she developed signs of illness and severe diarrhea. By day 6, I finally got fecal results back from a vet that showed she had no parasitic infection. Wouldn’t offer any more help. Thankfully, that day, found a nice vet that would see her on the fly. Gave her an oral dose of Ivermectin. Then sent me home w Tylen (tylosin) cut w something to help w the diarrhea. Colostrum, I want to say? Not sure Something for colitis.

So my hen got a dose of ivermectin for any type of internal parasites that wouldn’t show up on a fecal & sent home w Tylen in case her symptoms are signs of some kind of bacterial infection. End of appt mentions, he doesn’t actually deal w poultry. I was surprised but thankful he was willing to even offer the meds let alone see us.

I got home and looked up her meds to see if there were any additional tips/ instructions/ side effects to be aware of. Internet pulled up- Tylen and Ivermectin should not be combined, that it can cause digestive bleeding, ulcers, & diarrhea… but no links to sources or additional info. I’m wondering if the vet just didn’t know bc it’s not his area of practice or if the internet listed misinformation? I know it’s been discussed here but I can’t find anything & now I’m hesitant to start her on the antibiotic.

I would give those at the same time. I know of no reason not to give ivermectin and Tylan at the same time. However, instead of ivermectin, which may have lost some effectiveness against worms in chickens, I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole 10%.) Your vet may have been talking about clostridium, a common bacteria in the soil that can affect chickens and cause enteritis. Tylan, amoxicillin, and some other antibiotics can be used to treat that. Did the vet look for that with a gram stain on the droppings? It is more common in young chickens and may be a result of coccidiosis infection. It also is more common in meat chicks.

If you can find where you saw on the internet the info about not using Tylan and ivermectin, please share it. Maybe others will chime in.

I would give those at the same time. I know of no reason not to give ivermectin and Tylan at the same time. However, instead of ivermectin, which may have lost some effectiveness against worms in chickens, I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole 10%.) Your vet may have been talking about clostridium, a common bacteria in the soil that can affect chickens and cause enteritis. Tylan, amoxicillin, and some other antibiotics can be used to treat that. Did the vet look for that with a gram stain on the droppings? It is more common in young chickens and may be a result of coccidiosis infection. It also is more common in meat chicks.

If you can find where you saw on the internet the info about not using Tylan and ivermectin, please share it. Maybe others will chime in.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. The 1st vet (my regular vet, go figure) honestly ripped me off on the fecal & cost me precious days. I figured it would show no parasites. It was expensive but I was told it would test for other things, which it did not.

I had dewormed her in July w Valbazen, then Corid in early Sept, Valbazen end of Sept, the gapeworm dosage. Her symptoms until recently had been internment, & all over the place, but subtle.

The 2nd vet said the Ivermectin would cover a myriad of things that might not have come up on that particular panel & he was right. So far, he’s saved her life. Her strange symptoms pulled up air sacs mites on poultry dmv so I’d mentioned it. The only thing that can kill internal mites is Ivermectin. Who even knew internal mites is a thing & apparently not that uncommon. They just don’t talk about it much with the larger birds bc culling is the quick go-to, which is so upsetting.

That must’ve been it though bc she was trying to clear her throat half an hr after the dose then was almost completely back to normal & dust & sun bathing same day. Her poo quickly started to solidify from the completely clear liquid she had just been projectiling all over all day, & since this morning, after a whole week, her poo has been NORMAL. Hallelujah! lol.

I did end up holding off on the antibiotic to see what the morning would look like. Since it’s been going well, so far🤞 I’m just hanging on to the Tylen jic, which dr was nice enough to give me plenty of. I’m planning on continuing w at least one more weekly Ivermectin dose, at least. So, feeling like air sac/ tracheal mites is a realistic probability, which again, who would’ve guessed?

Clostridium, thank you, that’s what it is. The recommendation not to combine meds I found though Bing’s AI search. It’s usually a huge time saver but sometimes it gets buggie. Since the vet wasn’t super familiar w poultry, was wondering about what others had dealt with. I was very afraid to make her digestive issues worse. They really couldn’t have gotten any worse.

Edit- sorry if I’ve repeated myself. I’m really still trying to wrap my head around this whole deal.

Back
Top Bottom