Deworming?

Not a pain in the neck for you and me...because we LOVE IT! :lau
:smackJust kidding. :hugs I have one pen that contains the wildest bird I've ever owned, she's a mature Spalding peahen and I dread the days I have to catch her. I'm no wimp when it comes to handling birds, but this one is as tuff as they come! She's about 11 pounds, comes with spurs, long wings and a bunch of muscle!

You got it right. It's been wet, hot and humid all spring and summer long especially with the hurricanes. I worm monthly. Consider worming once a quarter.
A lot of folks dont know the worms lifecycle and how easily they infect chickens.
Do you really worm once a month?
Do you change the worming products you use?
Normally it’s very dry here and the eggs don’t have ideal hatching conditions. I tend to get the highest concentration of fecal matter around the coops. I move the coops once a year normally and this helps reduce the parasitic load.
I try to bear in mind that some worm eggs can survive in the soil for up to a year in the right conditions
The other point of concentration is the feeding stations and I vary those on a monthly basis, this helps to stop the chickens picking up eggs in particular that may be in the ground even if the site is apparently free of fecal matter.
My understanding is chickens normally have worms. If my memory serves me it is only the round worm and gapeworm that are likely to cause any serious illness. I deal with the eggs that get deposited on the coop floor with a blow torch and I don’t have bedding material on the coop floors. This makes ‘poop’ checks in the morning much easier and of course if the chickens are on perches then bedding on the floor seems rather wasteful and unhealthy.
I clean the coop floors with a blow torch. This will kill any eggs as well as scaly leg mite which may drop from a chickens legs to the floor.

My concern about the regular use of worming products is increased resistance. Gape worm problems are normally self evident and roundworm can be seen in the fecal matter.

Back
Top Bottom