Dexium Dexamethasone dosage?

Leela NH

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
Does anyone know the correct dosage for chickens for 2mg/ml of Dexium injectable? I can't find anything on the net other than coming to the conclusion it is probably tiny, like .005 ml. Which would be impossible to dose.

Trying to save a hen that is not responding to antibiotics.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the correct dosage for chickens for 2mg/ml of Dexium injectable? I can't find anything on the net other than coming to the conclusion it is probably tiny, like .005 ml. Which would be impossible to dose. 

Thanks! 

Help us, @casportpony. You're our only hope.

MrsB

I'm not sure that decadron is commonly used in chickens, but prednisone and prednisolone are used for certain problems such as wry neck or severe infections. The dosage of prednisone I have seen for chickens is 2 mg daily, but as in most chicken medicines, many things are used off label.

Thanks!
I found this:

Above is from:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

And this:

From here:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

-Kathy

My Dexium is 2mg/ml

Thanks for your responses. I lost my hen early this morning. I took her in for necropsy at UNH. They actually sent me the results late afternoon!
She had ovarian tumor/cancer

She was only 3 yrs old, Black Ameraucana, not hatchery stock.

She went fairly quickly, noticed lethargy and not other symptoms about two weeks ago, isolated her for a day, she was acting fine, put her back with flock and a few days later noticed she was very lethargic again. I gave antibiotics for 3 days and no change. She really took a turn for the worse yesterday morning, and by 5am she was gone. I did give the Dex as a last ditch attempt to save her, and it did nothing.

I want to learn more about what causes ovarian cancer in hens, especially since she was raised organically other than being wormed a few times as a preventative.

Thanks again.

Leela

Please let us know what you find. I know hatchery stock can be prone to reproductive issues associated with "hybrid vigor."

I would be very interested to kno, as I am working on building a flock of heritage Australorps.

MrsB

Last edited:
Sorry for you loss! BTW, I knew your dex was 2mg/ml, but the other person that posted an amount did not say what theirs was, just that they gave 0.25ml to a 3.5kg bird. :D

Again, sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom