DH bought me a present :D

goatkeepers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Mooresville, NC
He just came home with a brand new LG turner!!
yippiechickie.gif
I am SO excited! My blrw eggs are due to arrive tomorrow
fl.gif
or thursday so it's just in time! Now our chances for a good hatch should be pretty good.
Those of you that use this (still air, btw. with egg turner, no fan), how many of the water chambers do you fill? I just filled the inner ring...
And what are your specs? At what temp and humidity do you start?
Thanks!
wee.gif

LOL, I am glad you are happy with the turner. I personally dont use them. I had one and roasted 3 batches of eggs with it. First you will want to have the turner in and on for at least 24 to 48 hours to regulate the temp. Remember that with the turner your eggs are higher up in the bator and thus not as much room for temp spikes. Make sure you have your thermometer located at the top of the eggs to keep them in the safe zone. I would fill all areas on the bottm of the bator with water to start and see what your humidity is. I usually have to use a bowl of water with mine or it dries up to fast. If you see your temps suddenly going up check the water first. That was how I roasted one set. My water dried up and the temp went from 101 to 106 real quick. Turners work great for larger bators and for forced air bators, you just need to watch much closer with still airs. Jenn

Hmmm, that's not good.
sad.png
I started it now to reg. temps, I guess I will use some store bought unfertile eggs to test the temp (right now the thermometer is laying on top of the turner). Is there a good way to add water to this without opening the lid? That's the part I don't like.
sad.png
How often did you have to add water?

I have the same set up...I have to add water pretty often, it can be hard to do with the turner- so I laid a sponge in the bottom, and pour the water in onto the sponge- I end up with some leaking, but its not too bad.

MOST IMPORTANT- remember NOT to put an egg in the hole closest to the turner- it gets too hot.

I love having a turner- it is sooooooooooooo much easier, and you dont have to open the bator very much at all.
smile.png

Good luck.

Thanks, mom 2em all!
smile.png
We were planning on going camping next week and I was bummed cause I didn't know how I could leave for the night with my eggs needing to be turned.
smile.png
Now, it's all good!
wee.gif

I'll note that about eggs close to the turner! Thanks!! I'll probably put a sponge in there, as well.

ETA: Oh yeah, do you just take the turner out completely on day 18?

Last edited:
Not opening the bator is WAY OVER RATED!!!! When a hen sits on eggs she will get off the nest for 15 to 30 minutes to eat, drink, and other things. Eggs are made to hold in warmth and for the 2 to 5 minutes it takes to add water it wont cause a change. I took eggs out of the bator for other reasons and 6 hours later found out they were ok and candled and put them back in. Dont worry about it and relax. This must be your first try at hatching>>LOL Good luck Jenn

"Do you take the turner out completely?"

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

No, you go buy a second incubator...so you can fill your turner with staggered hatches, and just take the eggs out and put them in the other incubator on their individual Day 18s...

at least thats what I did.

Having a turner makes it easier to feed an addiction. I can even candle them inside the turner- just put my little mag light on them one by one and move on down the row (burn the top of my hand now and then, but its all good)....

Do you have any idea how easy it is to order eggs on eBay? I just have to be banned or something, so I can break this hatching habit of mine...

Quote:
lau.gif
back at ya! That comment made me smile!
smile.png
You and I would get along.
wink.png
So what if there's a little pain? Those embryos need to be candled!
pop.gif

Yah, hubby would loove that if I get another one.
gig.gif
He just bought me one, that should keep me happy for a while.
wink.png
I need to tell him that we should start working on another coop!
lau.gif
I don't know if I'll be able to candle them in the bator... I tried that with my home-made bator and I couldn't see in there well enough. (In the egg, I mean)

Congrats on your new eggs, by the way!
big_smile.png
So glad to hear that.
jumpy.gif

big_smile.png
Congrats on the new bator and BLRW eggs!
Where did you get your eggs? I just put 21 in last friday, they have moving air cells and don't look like much is happening yet. But my fingers are crossed! This is my 3rd attempt at the BLRW's. I will send you mucho hatching vibes!!
fl.gif

sly

Back
Top Bottom