DH is turning 40...I still need party ideas....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by BarkerChickens, Sep 16, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    DH will be 40 in November (born in 1969). I want to do something, but am not sure what.

About DH...no kids, doesn't mind turning 40 (so the 20s again theme doesn't work well), doesn't watch sports, plays on a pool (billiards) league, loves the simple life (and chickens!!!), rides dirt bikes, loves camping and backpacking, gardening, and our animals (cat, dogs, chickens). He likes the country lifestyle and listens to rock (anything from classic to hard).

Maybe a surprise BBQ? We have a pool table, large patio and a fire pit, so it'd be fun....but nothing special.

He's always wanted to do a pig roast, but I haven't any idea how to do it or where to even find a pig and don't know if a pig roast caterer in our area.

I am stumped....I am not good at brainstorming these things. [​IMG]

UPDATE:
    I still need help! After a few sugestions, I was gonna go ahead with the pig roast. But, none of the butchers around here can get one ( [​IMG] ) and it will cost near $200 to have one shipped! [​IMG] So, I think I need to nix the pig...at least for the time being. He likes the Bizarre Foods show with Andrew Zimmern (and would eat nearly anything that's on that show), so maybe something like that? But, I don't want to scare off guests either. An ideas on a good theme or suggestion to make it more than just a typical backyard BBQ? It's his 40th, so it has to be unique somehow. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Do a nice cookout, have a small bonfire to gather round with friends.

Maybe hang some lights on the patio.

Don't do the over-done black balloon stuff.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    How about a surprise pot luck? That would keep the costs down.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:That's not a bad idea. I don't mind buying food, beer, sodas, etc. I just don't want to do something expensive like rent a hall for the night or go to Vegas. So many ideas online are "rent a Yacht and have a party on the lake!" kinda stuff. Cool idea if my chicken pooped dollar bills. [​IMG]

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I think the pig roast idea is good... see if you can find someone that has done it or is willing too. I go to one every year and the pork is out of this world! Ask around, put a request on craigslist.... especially since it's always something he wanted to do.

You provide the pig, have everyone bring side dishes and a sixpack of their fav microbrew or a bottle of wine...

You could even set up a couple tents and have a campout in your backyard... then even the wimpy ones can go inside for a shower or bathroom [​IMG]

Nancy

6. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    If your chicken starts pooping dollar bills, could you send a few fertile eggs my way. I could use one of those chickens.

If you do go for the potluck idea, maybe you could use the money you would have spent on food, to rent something.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My neighbors had a Margaritaville theme party last week. It was sooo much fun. They entertain on a grand level, but some of the things they did could be done very inexpensively. Sandal-shaped cookies displayed on brown-sugar "sand", Cheeseburgers in Paradise, spongecake, frosty drinks... Plus, in my area of the country, now is the time of the year to find "summer" items on sale.

Other friends once had a Dress as a Rockstar costume party. This was before everyone was playing Rockband. I can only imagine that having that game would make a Rockstar party MORE fun...

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    we had a polyester party one year

9. want2bchicknmom

want2bchicknmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Southwest
    My DBF turned 40 last month and he also doesn't mind turning 40. We did a 60's themed surprise party. Everyone wore 60's themed outfits. We had a cookout for the food. I got him a tie dye cake and bought candies that were popular in the 60's which I put in clear glass bowls for dessert. It was fun and he appreciated it but told me no more surprise parties..ever.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:ZOMG!

NOOO! THE ITCHING!!!!! THE HORROR!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by