Di-methox use?

ki4wvv

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Was going to use di-methox on my chickens because of recommendations to alternate with corid for cocci. However, the package says not go give to chickens over 16 weeks old. All of my chickens are older than that. Does anyone know about using di-methox on older chickens?

Are they showing signs of illness? If not, you should not be medicating them at this age. Preventive medication is only for chicks, until their natural immunity builds up.

If they are symptomatic, then just use Corid for the week or 2 they need to recover. If they take longer than the, it's probably a different disease.

Di-methox is sulfadimethoxine. Dosage is 1 level teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. There's a 5 day withdrawal period after the last dosing. You can use corid for 5 days, but no more than 7 days. Then if the corid is ineffective, THEN use the di--methox.

I have 2 that are very lethargic with runny poop and hardly eating or drinking. It is hard to get the corid down when they do not drink. I have put down a gastric tube and given them their meds this way for last 2 days. They have been on the corid going on 4 days tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom