Diagnosis for spots on egg

si13lkies

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2022
Greetings everyone!

My name is Jason and I'm new here. I have a small backyard flock of silkies and one of the hens went broody 14 days ago. I noticed she may be rejecting this egg because the past 2 days I have found it cool to the touch and at the edge of the nest. It has formed this external ring of very rough red dots around the outside of the egg. The dots are very small, rough to the touch, and go around the egg long wise. I have candled the egg and the embryo is moving and internally things seem normal. It is 14 days now into the incubation by broody hen. Does anyone know what this is ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: All of the eggs that were set with this hen were normal when laid and the spots on this egg only developed in the past 2 days.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• 20220108_134419.jpg
    20220108_134419.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Greetings everyone!

My name is Jason and I'm new here. I have a small backyard flock of silkies and one of the hens went broody 14 days ago. I noticed she may be rejecting this egg because the past 2 days I have found it cool to the touch and at the edge of the nest. It has formed this external ring of very rough red dots around the outside of the egg. The dots are very small, rough to the touch, and go around the egg long wise. I have candled the egg and the embryo is moving and internally things seem normal. It is 14 days now into the incubation by broody hen. Does anyone know what this is ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: All of the eggs that were set with this hen were normal when laid and the spots on this egg only developed in the past 2 days.

Thanks,
Jason

Update on 1/10:

The hen never rejected the egg like I thought she was and it seems it is developing normally. My hypothesis is that as the embryo developed, it caused increased pressure on the the membrane and a blood vessel ruptured and seeped through the shell which is why that ring of red dots formed around the egg. I know that isn't normal, but if it were just one vessel then the other vessels should be able to compensate. I'll update again this weekend. Eggs should hatch Thursday or Friday.
Jason

I would say it was laid like that, not picked it up during hatching and it is pigmentation that did not apply evenly to the shell for whatever reason inside the hen. Are you concern with the hen rejecting the egg or that it may will hatch a sick chick from it?
Thanks for the reply. I can confirm that all of the eggs were normal in appearance when they were laid and this is a new occurrence. If the hen does reject the egg then I will allow that because yeah, I do not want a deformed or sick chick to hatch and I trust their instincts. I just want to know why these spots developed. I have never seen this before.

Have you candled it since the dots appeared, which was what day?
If no movement, I would open it up and take a look, might give a clue.
Yes and it looks normal on the inside with movement although the movement was diminished because the egg was cool. I put it back under her to see if she rejects it again and candled again after it warmed back up and it was moving a lot more and it looks healthy from what I can see on the inside. I'm just going to let nature run its course but just don't understand what these sudden appearing dots are.

Greetings everyone!

Thanks,
Jason
You all! It's mites! I can see them on the egg and hen's tail feathers now.. Now I have to deal with that immediately because hatch date is tomorrow or Friday.

You all! It's mites! I can see them on the egg and hen's tail feathers now.. Now I have to deal with that immediately because hatch date is tomorrow or Friday.
That had crossed my mind, figured it had to be external.
Go ahead and dust the broody, the nest, and new nest bedding with permethrin.

Greetings everyone!

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• 20220114_160907.jpg
    20220114_160907.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220114_160916.jpg
    20220114_160916.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom