Diagnosis please.

Grateful Dad

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
This girl seems to have good spirits, eats, though I have not seen her drink. Lays down most days. Has a bit of a limp when walking, lethargic compared to the others. Checks include looking for injury, odd smells, bugs, some vent proctology. The right foot had long nails and seems weak. She won't grip with it. The backstory is... a friend gave us 18 hens , 8 will be 2 in April and 10 will be 2 in April. I'm in S.C. - the run is 10x18 feet. The coop was 3x4! Feet! I've built them a new house. I suspect either coccidia or brooding. The foot may just be a birth defect. In the last 2weeks they moved locations, and had some stress with the new home building. Only a few are roosting. So lots of floor huddling at sleep time. Im being vigilant about cleanliness because of this. You'll see I was a member here 10 years ago with 6 ladies in Massachusetts. So I've some experience. Again thoughts would be appreciated 👍🏼
PXL_20240223_200853214.MP.jpg

Just some observations from the picture, but her feathers on her lower body and belly look a bit spotty, here tail position is down, her foots and leg look to have scaly leg mites, but she looks well nourished. Has she recently molted? Is she laying eggs? She looks like she could be suffering from a possible reproductive disorder. I would look her skin under the vent and body for lice or mites. I would worm her with either Valbazen 0.5 ml orally 10 days apart, or SafeGuard 0.25 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. Get a close-up of her legs and feet, but I would paint her legs with Nustock cream or vaseline twice a week for possible leg mites.

Do you think the chickens might be older than under 2 years? She is a buff Brahma, and they are big hens, and usually big eaters. About all we can do is to rule out worms, egg laying issues, mites or lice, and check their crops early morning before eating to make sure they are working. What type of floor and bedding is in the new coop? I would make sure to put them on a low roost board to get them off the floor at night. When I lose a chicken, I try to do a home necropsy, just to look for salpingitis, tumors, fatty liver disease, parasites, water belly, or other things. I have seen all of those things at different necropsies.

Back
Top Bottom