Diagnosis?

paul rustad

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 3, 2016
I have a 5 yr old hen who can not longer stand on her feet. She flops all over the place and her head is constantly wobbling up towards her back. She’ll take water from a syringe but will not take food from my hand. Any ideas? I have video of the behavior it cannot upload it to this site. And our pictures don’t capture the behavior. Any help would be appreciated.

isolate her with supplied food and water. can you get a vet? how's her poops looking? does she still lay? does she fall to one side? any evidence of worms, mites etc?

She is isolated. She does lay still. Her head just keeps wobbling towards her back When she excrements I’ll see what it looks like. I see no signs of parasites, worms or mites. All the other hens in the flock show no signs of what she has.

have you checked for a stuck egg? is she straining etc? if so, you can try feeding calcium tablets mixed in water.

soaked dry cat food/scrambled eggs/chick crumb could be good to feed as well. the higher protein and fat can help them recover if its an infectious disease.

What is your location? If it is very hot, make sure that she will drink water, and electrolytes might be helpful for a day or two. Vitamin E 400 IU given orally once a day might be helpful if there is a neurologic problem. I also would recommend checking for a stuck egg by inserting a clean finger into her vent up to 2 inches. Offer wet chicken feed, scrambled egg and water from a small bowl or cup. Keep her separated until she is back to normal so that she won’t be attacked. Have you added any new birds recently?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom