Diapering ducks, any ideas?

zalea

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
West Virginia
I was just wondering: What is the best way to diaper a duck?
I'm not planning on actually diapering them until my ducklings are a little older, but I was just wondering what's the most effective way besides buying a harness right off the bat? I was reading on liveducks.com and it said you can use preemie diapers or baggies. I'm not so sure about baggies, it might be something to try but I am leaning more toward diapers. I saw somewhere that newborn diapers are about the same size as preemie ones, will newborn diapers work, too, or are preemie ones the way to go?
I'd like to buy a harness for them when they're a bit older, like the ones from http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id47.html, but I want to wait until they've grown a bit before doing so. In the meantime, has anyone else had any experience on diapering ducklings? What works and what doesn't? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
smile.png

I'm wondering why, more than anything. Ducks are happiest being ducks, they're not indoor pets.

I have a diaper harness for my special crippled girl, Miss Matilda. It comes in handy when going to the vet or whatever, but I find it too much for everyday. I cut a newborn diaper in half and insert it in the pouch attached tot he harness like on Nancy Townsend's site. When Miss Matilda has to come in the house because of her disabilities (inflamed joints, etc) I just put down old ratty towels I get at the thrift store.

That being said, there are a lot of folks out there who diaper their ducks successfully.

I'm not talking about all the time or anything. They will mainly be outside... I was just wondering about what's the best way to do it in case I wanted to let them come in the house for a bit later. Like come in for a little visit inside occasionally. I'd rather do something like that than have to follow them around closely the whole time they're in.

Duck diapers have to be one of the strangest things I have seen lately. I really don't get it. It is a duck! If you want something to live in your house with diapers on, try foster parenting babies. They need attention much more than some house duck in diapers.
roll.png

Really weird.

Back
Top Bottom