Diarreha, lethargic and warm

Thank you everyone for your help. I called our regular vet last night, they referred me to another. They called back after some research and came up with the same diagnosis having not seen her. Just the cociocious (stomach parasite), not sure of spelling. She is improving today, more solid stool. She was our first sick one and I am guessing sickest. Still no eggs from anyone yet, I am guessing still healing. She is in chicken hospital in our garage and seems happier this am. Thanks for all the great advice and care. I am truly glad I joined!!!!!

So it's Coccidiosis... Did they tell you how to treat it?

And would you let a vet diagnose your lethargic dog without seeing them? The presence of the Cocci protozoa can really only be confirmed by a vet or necropsy (along with bacterial/viral infections, parasites, etc). I'm not saying they're WRONG, but I find that highly irresponsible of a vet to pass out a diagnosis like that for something that requires a fecal float for confirmation. This is me speaking on my own personal feelings. I promise I'm not getting on you for listening to your vet. :)

I'm with ChickenCanoe... Your average backyard bird isn't "worth" the trouble to most vets (or flock owners) and a parrot isn't the same thing as a chicken. There's no money in backyard poultry medicine, but people will pay an arm and a leg to save their parrot (and rightfully so). If you have a vet that will take the time to see your chicken and actually knows something about poultry, that is SUCH a blessing. Make friends with that person, invite them and their spouse to dinner... That relationship is worth its weight in gold!!

But, back to the topic at hand... Did the vet give you a treatment regimen?

MrsB

I'm going to be honest I have two girls I apsolutley adore and I'd say there like my third and forth child and I've honestly spent crazy amounts of money on there vet care, but my family and I love them and they even live with us (in the house) and are even house broken to a point. So to me chickens are like family but I can understand how they are precived buy a lot of people

Back
Top Bottom