Diarrhea - 3 Month Old Cockerel

tacosta1009

Songster
Feb 17, 2020
Hi, all!

First post here!

I have a flock of 10 chickens. After losing my rooster earlier this year, I wanted to replace the rooster. I met a breeder who said he's NPIP certified and brought home a little Brahma. He's eating and drinking, but the first day there was blood in his stool. The breeder suspected worms because he had not wormed him yet since he was hatched. I wormed him with Safegard and also began him on Corid drinking water in case there is coccidiosis. I haven't seen more blood, but he does have diarrhea every now and then with normal looking stool.

I'm trying to avoid a vet visit, but I also want to make sure he does well!

I have him quarantined in his own cage away from my flock.

Anything else recommended?

Corid can be pretty hard on their digestive systems, and with the addition of the Safeguard on top of that--he's probably needing a little tummy TLC. I would add some plain yogurt to his diet. Keep him separate until you feel his poops are normal.

Thank you! I was considering that too...I felt awful assaulting him like that. I just didn't want him to die on me either, so I may have been a little overly zealous!

I will add yogurt to his diet. I'm also wondering if the layer pellets he's getting, since he's young (or just the change in food in general), may not be helping either...

He shouldn't be on layer pellets at all - too young, not a hen!

Once he's completely done with Corid treatment, you can boost him with something like Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster to give him a vitamin boost to pep him up. Do not supplement with anything while treating with Corid so you're not accidentally adding more thiamine to his system.

Thank you! I was considering that too...I felt awful assaulting him like that. I just didn't want him to die on me either, so I may have been a little overly zealous!

I will add yogurt to his diet. I'm also wondering if the layer pellets he's getting, since he's young (or just the change in food in general), may not be helping either...
I understand. I bought 12 pullets from a guy that when I got them home broke with frank blood stools! They were as white as a sheet of paper and I thought to myself, "Oh, no, they have cocci and they are going to die!" But they all did phenomenal and I still have 2 remaining hens from that flock 9 years later!

Hi, all!

First post here!

I have a flock of 10 chickens. After losing my rooster earlier this year, I wanted to replace the rooster. I met a breeder who said he's NPIP certified and brought home a little Brahma. He's eating and drinking, but the first day there was blood in his stool. The breeder suspected worms because he had not wormed him yet since he was hatched. I wormed him with Safegard and also began him on Corid drinking water in case there is coccidiosis. I haven't seen more blood, but he does have diarrhea every now and then with normal looking stool.

I'm trying to avoid a vet visit, but I also want to make sure he does well!

I have him quarantined in his own cage away from my flock.

Anything else recommended?
Can you please post some photos of his poop and of him?
How old is he?

There are no contraindications of using Safeguard with Corid. Corid is mild and won't hurt him if you gave the correct dosage. Same with Safeguard.
What dosages did you give and for how long?

I agree with giving poultry vitamins after you finish course of treatment. Also agree, if he's young, then layer feed is not for him. Feed chick starter or an all flock feed instead.

Back
Top Bottom