Diarrhea, Lethargy, Sudden Death?

I did check last night and there's lice or mites, can't tell which. They were REALLY tiny, little beige creatures on the skin. I could see them with with a flashlight where the feather patches were missing.

Lice are long, six legged straw coloured critters. Mites are round, tiny eight legged specks. Mites can range in colour from white to brown to red depending on when they’ve fed. If you can catch one on some clear sticky tape and look with a magnifying glass or microscope you should be able to see the shape and amount of legs more clearly.

I’ve never used Elector PSP but be mindful that some treatments don’t kill eggs so a retreatment is necessary based on the weather and severity of infestation.

If they are mites try giving your girls some cut up beef liver to boost their iron.

Lice are long, six legged straw coloured critters. Mites are round, tiny eight legged specks. Mites can range in colour from white to brown to red depending on when they’ve fed. If you can catch one on some clear sticky tape and look with a magnifying glass or microscope you should be able to see the shape and amount of legs more clearly.

I’ve never used Elector PSP but be mindful that some treatments don’t kill eggs so a retreatment is necessary based on the weather and severity of infestation.

If they are mites try giving your girls some cut up beef liver to boost their iron.
Thank you. Will do all of these tips!

Worm results are back (attached) and show Ascarid eggs. Even though it's classified as a "small" load, do you think should I treat the flock for them? Or is this normal? Been looking around at other posts and see mixed thoughts.

Thank you!!

1713882865317.png

Elector PSP (this stuff is expensive but the hype about it seems worth it).
This is my go to, it's a 1 and done, no need to repeat treatment. I recommend mixing up about 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and giving everyone a dip(as long as your weather is nice, if it's not a spray bottle is fine, be sure to hit the vent, under the wings, and back of the neck well), then take all the bedding out of your coop and spray it down with the mixture as well (I have a 2 gallon sprayer I use for this)

This is my go to, it's a 1 and done, no need to repeat treatment. I recommend mixing up about 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and giving everyone a dip(as long as your weather is nice, if it's not a spray bottle is fine, be sure to hit the vent, under the wings, and back of the neck well), then take all the bedding out of your coop and spray it down with the mixture as well (I have a 2 gallon sprayer I use for this)
Thank you! Glad it works for you. I was going to spray them at night. How important is it to get the skin vs the feathers? Do I just spray vent, under wings, behind neck, and bald spots? Or do I move feathers out of the way and make sure I'm getting the skin?

I was going to take all hay and bedding out and dispose of it in a black trash bag, spray down the coop and dirt (there's no bottom on the coop, just dirt) and put fresh bedding in, and new hay in the boxes.

Thank you! Glad it works for you. I was going to spray them at night. How important is it to get the skin vs the feathers? Do I just spray vent, under wings, behind neck, and bald spots? Or do I move feathers out of the way and make sure I'm getting the skin?

I was going to take all hay and bedding out and dispose of it in a black trash bag, spray down the coop and dirt (there's no bottom on the coop, just dirt) and put fresh bedding in, and new hay in the boxes.
You want it to make contact with the skin. Spray them liberally!

This story just keeps unfolding... separate from the tube feeding chicken, I noticed another chicken with a HUGE booty issue. I had noticed it a few days ago (my reference of diarrhea) but regrettably I ignored it between the mites, the previously sick one I lost, and tube feeding the other every 12 hours. Finally got around to looking at her today and it isn't just diarrhea. I think it's a prolapse & vent gleet. Gave her an Epsom soak and trimmed feathers today, then dried and sprayed with Vetericyn. I also gave yogurt by hand and probiotic/electrolyte mix in one of the waterers. I need to read up on how to address the prolapse, but I'm wondering if you all have any thoughts on these worms that came out from her soak. As I washed away all the poo, I noticed live worms floating around in the water. They definitely came from her vent area.

What is going on here? Is this flystrike in addition to a prolapse/vent gleet?

Thank you all so much for the help so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_001406_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_001406_Messages.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240425_001420_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_001420_Messages.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom