Diarrhea, lost weight, weak, wobbly hen

Nonnapoo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
My 2 year old hen has been sick for 6 months. She has lost weight even though she eats and drinks, has constant diarrhea, is weak and wobbly, just stands in one place. She has not laid an egg during this time. I have ruled out every disease ive researched and tried sever Al treatments. I keep thinking every day is her last but she is a trooper. I have her in the house now that the weather is cold. She was not able to get on the roost in her coop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Layer feed, meal worms, oats, scratch every day. Veggies like cabbage and tomatoes from time to time. She is free range.

Attachments

• IMG_3548.jpeg
    IMG_3548.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 5
I have tried do many things with her. I tried the sour crop treatment again today. Full crop last night. No food or water overnight. I massaged her crop this morning. It was about half full and i could here some sloshing in there. No fould smell from her beak.

I have tried do many things with her. I tried the sour crop treatment again today. Full crop last night. No food or water overnight. I massaged her crop this morning. It was about half full and i could here some sloshing in there. No fould smell from her beak.
How does her abdomen feel?(located below her vent)

Coconut oil is good for making things slippery inside. Feed hardened chunks of coconut oil, then massage until you feel her crop shrink. Repeat if needed. But be careful if it's liquidy.

My 2 year old hen has been sick for 6 months. She has lost weight even though she eats and drinks, has constant diarrhea, is weak and wobbly, just stands in one place. She has not laid an egg during this time.

Layer feed, meal worms, oats, scratch every day. Veggies like cabbage and tomatoes from time to time. She is free range.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, if it has not emptied, then address that symptom.

You mentioned, you tried Sour Crop treatment "again today". Are you giving 1 treatment for 1 day or?
If the crop is indeed Sour, it takes time to resolve. Usual course of treatment is 2X a day for 7 days of an antifungal/yeast medication like Nystatin, Miconazole, Clotrimazole, etc.

What other treatments have you tried? Has she been dewormed? If so, then what was given, the dose and for how long?

Any lice or mites?

She's free range, but stands in one place - do you see her going to eat/drink?

Work on the crop problem, often there's another condition that is causing the crop to become slow - whether it's a partial blockage in the digestive system, worms, reproductive disorders, etc. it's hard to know.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have always suspected the problem might be reproductive issues since she was always prone to being egg bound. She also had a prolapsed vent which i put back inside.

Back
Top Bottom