Diarrhea on poop board, what to do?

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
New chicken owner here. I have 4 little ladies, about 7 months now. Two are laying, two are squatty and should lay any day. Over the past 4 days or so I've noticed diarrhea on their poop board. Not a lot, seems like maybe 2 really loose stools but otherwise a ton of very healthy looking stools (I clean the poop board daily). Obviously, I have no idea which bird has it. All of the bird are acting perfectly healthy except we just went through a very big cold spell (like all of us). Maddy-bird has lost her voice again (she is my super chatty one but it takes effort to get her voice "out" now so she doesn't talk so much right now) - but this is the 2nd time that happened over the past 2 months. Seemed like last time it happened was another big change of weather. Came back a week or so later the last time. Therefore, I'm not worried about it because she behaves very well, eats, drinks, lays, cuddles, etc. Anyway, is there something I should be doing about the diarrhea? and if so, what? I don't know who it is.......

Thank you

It could be the cold Weather... Is the stool bloody? I know that (bear with me) cocsidious *I hope you get the idea) is runny, bloody stools. I would give them plenty of water. I hope that this helps.... A person that I would reach out to is @azygous They are always very helpful to me.

Nice try, @Pastel The Rooster ! Closer than most people get to the right term, coccidiosis.

I doubt that's the problem here, though, since coccidia parasites are more active in warm, moist soil.

The recent severe weather can affect chickens' poop. When their systems are stressed, the systems can slow down. Watery poop, usually scant, is a sign of stress. At any sign of stress, I put a little sugar in the drinking water to raise glucose levels which combats stress. Pass out probiotic tablets to the gang and that can help firm up this stress poop, as well, by adding good microbes to their digestive systems.

Nice try, @Pastel The Rooster ! Closer than most people get to the right term, coccidiosis.

I doubt that's the problem here, though, since coccidia parasites are more active in warm, moist soil.

The recent severe weather can affect chickens' poop. When their systems are stressed, the systems can slow down. Watery poop, usually scant, is a sign of stress. At any sign of stress, I put a little sugar in the drinking water to raise glucose levels which combats stress. Pass out probiotic tablets to the gang and that can help firm up this stress poop, as well, by adding good microbes to their digestive systems.
How are you so smart?! 😂

Back
Top Bottom