Diarrhea, runny nose and wounds on Edgar

Edgartheduck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
It's a complicated story really. I've been feeding the ducks near my local pond and noticed a male mallard I called Edgar was injured. Some witnesses say a snapping turtle got him in the foot. I called animal control and they allowed me to take him home.

This is where we run into problems. Edgar is extremely stressed. It was quite evident. I couldn't just put him back in the pond in pain. I gave him a small dose of aspirin (half of one) and wrapped his foot if there was an open gash. He was started to walk better after we wrapped him up.

He's been pooping green poop. It was normal until an hour ago. It suddenly got runny. (Poop colour:Green)

Q

However, the duck belongs to the pond next to our house.

They will care for him and release him back to where you found him. Green poop is a sign he is sick or not eating. Either way, he needs to be cared for by someone that can address those issues. I know you mean well, but he'd be better off with someone that's used to caring for wildlife.

-Kathy

We took him to the wildlife rehab. They said they more than likely won't return him home once he healed.

I cried for four hours. I've known him since he was a duckling. I haven't cried this much since my grandpa died

At least they can care or him properly, right? Isn't that what's important? Sick and injured wildlife are not easy to care for and take lots of time and money to do it properly. You did the right thing.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom