Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GregM, Mar 1, 2009.

1. GregM

GregM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    My family and I are first-time chick-raisers. We have 9 two-week old chicks and until this morning everything has been going by the book. Today, however, I noticed several chicks have very loose, runny stools and the odor in the brooder is definitely "stonger." I clean out the brooder at least twice a day and put down new paper towels and clean out the water and food supply. Could this be a stress issue, a disease issue, a temperature issue, or something else entirely? Can anyone give me some idea as to whether I am overreacting or do I have a problem that needs addressing - and if so, what do you recommend as a remedy? Thanks in advance for the help.

GregM

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Are you feeding them anything besides chick starter? Any treats? Sometimes if you introduce treats they start having different poo.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. GregM

GregM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Nope, no treats. Just chick starter and straight water. Thanks for the quick reply. We'd hate to lose any of these girls.

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Some of my 3 week old chicks are having loose, runny stool right now as well. At first I thought it might be the treats, but when we took them off of the treats last week to see we found that it's still been going on. I'm going to go to the Co-op Monday to get a couple de-wormers, because I've heard that worms can create runny stool in chicks. Maybe you're having the same issue?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are the loose stools all the time or just every once in awhile? Do the stools look like melted chocolate?
    You could be noticing cecal stools which are normal and happen about every 6th movement:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

CBee, just MHO here but I would definitely NOT worm three week old chicks. Much too hard on their systems.

6. GregM

GregM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Gritsar:
    Yes! The loose stools do look like melted chocolate (the idea kind of puts me off chocolate, actually ...) and they do seem to come and go. That makes good sense since the remainder of their behavior appears normal. Thanks for the advice.

7. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I just noticed one of those chocolate stools and that's why I read this post. I am really glad I did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by