Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This is exactly what mine have been doing one by one, always starting around hatch day. One day a perfect egg and the next it takes on this look, and then nothing, no veins..still. It's happening as I type this. I'm all too familiar with it. 18 eggs later.
and it sucks! I will post what all changed in my incubation plans in a minute

Quote: its hard to judge air cells because I cant see the entire egg, but I am thinking that weight loss has to be much greater and spread out through the incubation.
I am aiming for 15% or more this time around, I just wish I would have sanded them with reg sandpaper and not been so scared to sand them!

Our understanding is that purpose of Lockdown is to provide conditions to enable the chick to hatch. Once a hole and/or pip has been made in the shell then there is a risk of premature drying of the membranes and the higher humidity prevents this happening. Raising the humidity before this time can only be justified if the egg has lost too much weight and further moisture loss needs to be prevented. It is worth considering that many late deaths occur before internal pipping due to insufficient moisture loss. The chicks blood system is over-loaded with fluid and causes swelling of the bodys soft tissues as the heart fails due to its increased workload. The chicks is simply too congested and weakened to undergo the stressors of the hatching process.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577310/a-guide-to-humidity-weighing-and-lockdown#post_7493364

This is what I think is happening to mine. Good read.

Quote:
See the 2nd chick just hatched, look at the bottom of the egg shell, it doesnt near go to bottom.

I think I am too late in sanding them harder!! ughhhhh as I take it, weight loss is important during the first part despite overall loss. DOHHHHH I knew this but didnt know how much effect my initial sanding would do. now I know, sand with reg paper right off the bat.

pretty gross I cant believe the chick is alive from this egg!

here they are, one is still in the bator absorbing, but these two are crazy duckies!

0.jpg

and here is one other post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...etatched-shipped-eggs/26200_100#post_13376008

and the egg shell analysis https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...etatched-shipped-eggs/26200_100#post_13375865

They are beautiful! I love the colors! Thank God you're on this. I feel a new article coming on...
wink.png

Our understanding is that purpose of Lockdown is to provide conditions to enable the chick to hatch. Once a hole and/or pip has been made in the shell then there is a risk of premature drying of the membranes and the higher humidity prevents this happening. Raising the humidity before this time can only be justified if the egg has lost too much weight and further moisture loss needs to be prevented. It is worth considering that many late deaths occur before internal pipping due to insufficient moisture loss. The chicks blood system is over-loaded with fluid and causes swelling of the bodys soft tissues as the heart fails due to its increased workload. The chicks is simply too congested and weakened to undergo the stressors of the hatching process.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/577310/a-guide-to-humidity-weighing-and-lockdown#post_7493364

This is what I think is happening to mine. Good read.
No articles, maybe a thread to pull this crap over so I can find it, this thread is too long and I cant ever find stuff now.

I you read back through the time from of my hatch, everything is documented here, I treated each egg differently at the end too, heck two eggs never made it into the incubator! They never did draw down or shadowing! The trouble was I didnt panic enough about weight loss until day 14.

I am going to shoot for 15% weight loss, I just wish I had known this stuff before I set the new batch as they are already on day 11, but they did have more weight loss at the beginning but not as much as I had planned.... I guess only time will tell!

the last guy that is in my bator is one that never did a draw down, when I took the top off I noticed how fluid filled the egg was, so before I opened the membrane to find his beak I had a zillion qtips ready to sop up the liquids, he is so big he couldnt get his head under wing to pip so I seen what I prayed was his neck and just pulled up on it and his head just slid right up and out, it was vertical down into the middle of the egg, I cleared his nares fast and when he opened his beak I even stuck a qtip in there to get that goop out to clear him. he started peeping!!! I swear he was saying thanks LOL so I just sopped up as much stuff as I could of the goop and for some reason out of panic I grabbed the vertyicin umbilical and udder gel spray and sprayed the membrane, then I wiped it around with the qtip and put him in the bator for an hour and when I went to check he was dry so I added the bactrin ointment. He isn't ready yet, but he is really starting to gain some energy so it will be tonight sometime! He is one strong little booger! I think I will call this one Qtip cause his head kept wanting to go back into the goopy shell and I had to rig an X out of qtips under his head to keep it up.

oh I hope he makes it!!

What I have learned so far from reading and this nasty hatch

PREPARE for the worst with Ducks that are known to have weight loss issues!

SAND THAT EGG BEFORE ITS SET and use 104 degree bleach water to fend off bacteria, so even amount of weight loss is achieved throughout the ENTIRE incubation period

WEIGH THE EGGS!! WEIGH and monitor, 7-10-14-18-21 and whatever!! I may add a weight check at day 4 on my geese I am putting in!

Last edited:
I have turkeys(several kinds), guineas, my golden and blue laced red wyandottes, Belgian Quail Bantams, Amercauna bantams, Swedish ducks, African Geese (my Canadian is crossing with the Africans and I cant wait to see what they look like when they grow up)

AND I am really into the Nubians. My farm name is Spotted Nubian. I have but I have 4 to pick up in Wyoming in June. 5 in Oklamoma, 2 in South Arkansas and a breeder is dropping off 2 more at my house in June. I have 17 babies and I think 13 adults. So how many is that? 43 total that I will have in June? Wait, I sold 5 to a lady in Louisiana that is coming up in May to get them. So I have 30 today and will have 38? Then I have a few more that are supposed to kid in July. So who knows how many I will have in the fall to start breeding.
belgian Quail bantams? pictures please!!!

I love Nubians!!! and yours are gorgeous you need to show everyone! Those spots are amazing!
Do they kid year round? I need a farm sooo bad!!!

Kathy what breed is the duck? its a very pretty duckling

I will add that as many of saras ancona I hatched at different times. I never had this issue, EVER, no goop or anything! And awesome hatches. It started this winter with chicken eggs, and now this :( I will add that my bator was DRY like 17-25% and I still fought weight loss and ended sanding them halway through!

the last guy that is in my bator is one that never did a draw down, when I took the top off I noticed how fluid filled the egg was, so before I opened the membrane to find his beak I had a zillion qtips ready to sop up the liquids, he is so big he couldnt get his head under wing to pip so I seen what I prayed was his neck and just pulled up on it and his head just slid right up and out, it was vertical down into the middle of the egg, I cleared his nares fast and when he opened his beak I even stuck a qtip in there to get that goop out to clear him. he started peeping!!! I swear he was saying thanks LOL so I just sopped up as much stuff as I could of the goop and for some reason out of panic I grabbed the vertyicin umbilical and udder gel spray and sprayed the membrane, then I wiped it around with the qtip and put him in the bator for an hour and when I went to check he was dry so I added the bactrin ointment. He isn't ready yet, but he is really starting to gain some energy so it will be tonight sometime! He is one strong little booger! I think I will call this one Qtip cause his head kept wanting to go back into the goopy shell and I had to rig an X out of qtips under his head to keep it up.

oh I hope he makes it!!

What I have learned so far from reading and this nasty hatch

PREPARE for the worst with Ducks that are known to have weight loss issues!

SAND THAT EGG BEFORE ITS SET and use 104 degree bleach water to fend off bacteria, so even amount of weight loss is achieved throughout the ENTIRE incubation period

WEIGH THE EGGS!! WEIGH and monitor, 7-10-14-18-21 and whatever!! I may add a weight check at day 4 on my geese I am putting in!

I may try this Sally. I think I have one left, and really what do I have to lose, ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom