Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I just did it. Nares are clear and its breathing. The first hole, I dumped Amber goo that poured out, before I pulled the bill. I've never shook so hard in my life. Now I pray.
u still had some in? when due? I cant keep track of u!

A ducky has hatched on its own, it had goop hanging which was normal but it also had a blob of that yellow gel like substance in the bator.

I candled the two that had internals, last night I created tiny holes in the top of their shells because I didnt want them to suffocate and went off the timing of the first internal pip, one ducky was dead in shell, a pretty black one pipped and veins look like they were receding well but it was dead as if it didnt have the effort to get out. The other remaining internal pipped egg, I did investigate, still not ready but alive.

one other egg in the bator uninternally pipped is still moving, the others look dead to me, two in the cabinet one looks dead the other I saw little movement but it hastnt drawn down.

Big bummer, I have done everything I could for these eggs, the ducks are huge for that size of egg, even with the weight loss achieved it still wasnt enough.

I need to research this breed and see if we can breed back to something else to help its genetics, as I am fairly sure its just that.

Any other suggestions to getting weight loss in the next batch up to about 15-16% anyone? shout out! I am upping heat a bit in the cabinet, but not enough I will kill everything. spot checking it often.

I am rambling and I am sad for these babies, I am going to try even harder with the next batch, and if the same happens again I think we are pretty much sure its all genetics. :(

Pictures later, I dont want to mess with the bator at all for these guys, I did well with sitting on my hands knowing ducks take days to hatch. so bummed <going to cry a river now>
I had issues like that with a hatch a couple weeks ago. The chicks were sticky and had yellowish goo all over. They also had the clear thick "gel" at the bottom of the egg. After researching I thought it was left over albumin. I think most of my issues are from not turning enough. --which I read can cause the albumin not to be completely absorbed. I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with them.
hugs.gif

For the weight loss thing--- What humidity are you running your bator at (when It's not "hatch time")? I wonder if you could add something to the water you mist them with (you mist duck eggs, right....)?

How is everyone? My little girl is a living doll.
She is so cute!!

Quote:
I just did it. Nares are clear and its breathing. The first hole, I dumped Amber goo that poured out, before I pulled the bill. I've never shook so hard in my life. Now I pray.

I had 5 in that were due today. They started fading out yesterday. They are all dead, I just opened the rest up. The one I just tried to help, I was too late, it's eyes were already clouding over when I pulled it's bill out. It breathed for about 1/2 hour and stopped. The rest were a mess with the goo. One was pretty darn dry though, and it's bill right at the surface. It could have made it. IDK?? I swear I will dry hatch them next time, and sand. Silkie is shipping me 3 ducklings tomorrow, so my little Piper will have company at least. I need to get this Pekin duckling back to its real home, it's too darn messy for me!

Quote: yes misting or dunking to draw out moisture and imitate mother lol These are known to not be able to loose enough moisture plus they are not strong breed due to genetics and inbreeding. they are gorgeous and sweet ducks, only trouble is getting them to hatch and be strong to live thereafter!

That gel like stuff is cause from low heat or high moisture or combo of both. It does also state the the chlor-membrane may not reach the bottom of the egg in the case of not enough turning as well as lack of weight loss 11-12 days.

I am still not sold on the gentics stuff, as I seen they are too wet.

Quote:

I had 5 in that were due today. They started fading out yesterday. They are all dead, I just opened the rest up. The one I just tried to help, I was too late, it's eyes were already clouding over when I pulled it's bill out. It breathed for about 1/2 hour and stopped. The rest were a mess with the goo. One was pretty darn dry though, and it's bill right at the surface. It could have made it. IDK?? I swear I will dry hatch them next time, and sand. Silkie is shipping me 3 ducklings tomorrow, so my little Piper will have company at least. I need to get this Pekin duckling back to its real home, it's too darn messy for me!
ducks are messy period not? this is a big bummer, so sorry I didnt know you had more in!

I candled the next set of eggs, air cells didnt budge! ughhhhh

The duck in the bator yet...the black one isnt absorbing his yolk but is very active, he has his head up and I can see down into the shell now, I have never had any type of fowl this active with yolk sack as big as it is yet! good God I am gonna fret again, I am keeping him in the cup, I dont know what else to do, I dont want to try to tie it off because they never make it that way! I will give him until tonight and then see what is going on. I dont think its broken, and if its not absorbing it should be drying up by late tonight I would guess! why cant things be easy? In other news, I am hatching geese for a friend. Trying to cheat with a broody though, of course after fighting for three weeks she wasnt on the nest last night! but she was this am so I moved her to the shed, praying she settles again because I dont have bator room anywhere for these huge things!

UPDATE and making NOTES: because I am fretting, yes fretting  ughhhhhhh  

I peaked at the silky eggs, and I see some pushing up movement from the lowest part in the air cell of two eggs! Not interally pipped but def pushing up on it!  very odd how I dont really see major draw down on them, usually with eggs you see the back go up and push up on the back part of the air cell, not the front first. :/  These are not chickens perhaps they do most of that  draw down after pipping, perhaps this is why they drown so easily, just sharing thoughts, ignore me lol.  

Anyways, I put them into the lockdown cooler and said NO stop panicking its only day 20 WATCH them, so I put them back in the cabinet Good grief need a cam on me at the bators lol.  I havent fretted for months over any eggs!  I will check again at 2pm.  

I averaged out the most recent eggs and average on all weights that vary from 48-67 average is 56 grams.  I quickly weighed the ones that are pushing up and they are both around 45 so if going by average they only lost 11% HOWEVER I do think these two are smaller eggs sooooooo I think they lost more than that. goal on the next batch is in another post 14-15%.  Smaller eggs also explain why these two have pushing up in the air cell already and seem a tad further along, and shows how quickly I can see changes in the last few days! 

OMG I am fretting I dont want to kill them!!!  I am so excited and worried and thats soooo bad when you incubate! :duc   sit on hands sit on hands, I got this I got it I GOT IT!!!!  oh God what if I do not! ughhhh :barnie   I have to go read the process right NOW! 

Sally give it time ...all my ducks hatched after my turkeys and it killed me to sit on my hands

I candled the next set of eggs, air cells didnt budge! ughhhhh

The duck in the bator yet...the black one isnt absorbing his yolk but is very active, he has his head up and I can see down into the shell now, I have never had any type of fowl this active with yolk sack as big as it is yet! good God I am gonna fret again, I am keeping him in the cup, I dont know what else to do, I dont want to try to tie it off because they never make it that way! I will give him until tonight and then see what is going on. I dont think its broken, and if its not absorbing it should be drying up by late tonight I would guess! why cant things be easy? In other news, I am hatching geese for a friend. Trying to cheat with a broody though, of course after fighting for three weeks she wasnt on the nest last night! but she was this am so I moved her to the shed, praying she settles again because I dont have bator room anywhere for these huge things!
fl.gif
Prayers for baby, and you know I'm jealous of the geese! I'm still waiting on my call! She said the second batch was due the first week in May so, I guess it should be soon. What type do you have in?

Quote: Its been since yesterday morning that I assisted it and it took its first breath, its still very active in the shell and peeps. I am praying it can absorb that mess because it doesnt look like its doing anything. the poor duckie. He looks at me like, help me and I feel terrible for him. I pray I dont go through such a sloppy hatch with the next batch. but so far they are loosing weight and have great veining.

They all looked great too until day 19 then this started to happen......

Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom