Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sally Sunshine I know for still air everyone says for the temps to be around 101.5* but is that surface temps or internal temps. I ask because for my first batches I watched the internals via a water wiggle and those hatched on days 19 and 20 but with the Lady ones I didn't have room for a wiggle so I've had to go of the surface temps and the eggs that are due Friday seem to be a day or two behind...

@lizanne u got chicks?
Not yet.... I keep checking on them though. Thursday at 5PM will be the full 21 days. I'm thinking some of them might go that long, because those "layer" eggs are huge!!! The air cells are dipping down, and I can see them moving through the air cell, but no internal pip yet.
pop.gif

@Sally Sunshine I know for still air everyone says for the temps to be around 101.5* but is that surface temps or internal temps. I ask because for my first batches I watched the internals via a water wiggle and those hatched on days 19 and 20 but with the Lady ones I didn't have room for a wiggle so I've had to go of the surface temps and the eggs that are due Friday seem to be a day or two behind...
I asked this a couple weeks ago, and was told that with a wiggler you want the temp to be 99.5. That's what the internal temp *should* be. The wiggler mimics the inside of the egg.

Not yet....  I keep checking on them though.  Thursday at 5PM will be the full 21 days.  I'm thinking some of them might go that long, because those "layer" eggs are huge!!!  The air cells are dipping down, and I can see them moving through the air cell, but no internal pip yet.   :pop

I asked this a couple weeks ago, and was told that with a wiggler you want the temp to be 99.5.  That's what the internal temp *should* be.  The wiggler mimics the inside of the egg.

Even in a still air? And I know it does

My duck eggs are developing! And one of the 3 fertile eggs from the second shipment of cochin eggs entered lockdown...it was a bit late, took them out when I was candling the whole incubator...Two look like they died earlier and one had internally pipped! Time will tell, God willing.
go duckies!

The malposition I got last time was stuff like...beak over left wing and the chicken died because it didn't have any mobility to zip. I may have been able to save it had I known that was the problem. Is that something you can diagnose with the chick in the egg?
not that I am aware of

Info in the article for still air is written as I have researched it, I have no experience without a fan, and I wouldnt incubate without a fan, they are really cheap and well worth adding. There are many articles online for you to look up details on STILL AIR incubating, also send silkie sensation a message, I think all her bators are still air and she has incubated plenty in them to give you some good tips along with online research.

Quote: correct, ideal temps for embryo are 99.5

I dont have time right now, but I have seen this still air stuff in detail and it suggests a varied temp through incubation because of the embryo position at the beginning of incubation and that it always floats up so that it naturally is closest to the heat of the hen after her turning. Google Still Air Temps, only look for reliable sources, commercial hatcheries, commercial incubator manufacturers and incubation studies. Your incubator manufacturer may have details on this.

My duckie is still absorbing but I think its going down! still strong and peeping!

Gotta run, lotta stuff going on here

@foxvalleyfarm there is so much info and they all contradict each other, I was trying to find some of my studies and I am not having luck.
I will have to read up when I can, I just cant think tonight. We are working on a school project with kiddo and what a mess it is.
At the bottome of this page is how cheap a fan and plug is ... scroll all the way down he has inks in the bottom http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

@foxvalleyfarm
   there is so much info and they all contradict each other, I was trying to find some of my studies and I am not having luck.  
I will have to read up when I can, I just cant think tonight. We are working on a school project with kiddo and what a mess it is. 
At the bottome of this page is how cheap a fan and plug is ... scroll all the way down he has inks in the bottom http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

It's OK. And Im going to get dh to out in a fan for next time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom