Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
The malposition I got last time was stuff like...beak over left wing and the chicken died because it didn't have any mobility to zip. I may have been able to save it had I known that was the problem. Is that something you can diagnose with the chick in the egg?

I've been working on that... I'm at the point where I can sort of tell if they're malpositioned, but I don't know which position it is until I open them up a little.

-Kathy

@Sally Sunshine what do you think of this day 20 duck egg?

The air cell believe it or not has healed some. It was much worse.
air cell is almost straight down to one side? and its got good veining but not far into the bottom. but reg ducks take what 28 days so it may be on track since the major growth is last part. I think its doing good if you had that much of a wiggly air cell to start it. what breed again? sorry I cant remember what I have in my own bators yet alone everyone elses
lau.gif

air cell is almost straight down to one side? and its got good veining but not far into the bottom. but reg ducks take what 28 days so it may be on track since the major growth is last part.    I think its doing good if you had that much of a wiggly air cell to start it. what breed again? sorry I cant remember what I have in my own bators yet alone everyone elses :lau

Yes it does. I agree some of the others are much more filled into the bottom. It's an Ancona. When I started it the air cell went all the way to the bottom and then some. It has healed some since then. In glad you see veining because I can't. But I wasn't getting rid of it. I worked to hard on it.

This is an update addition to the 101 article since everyone keeps asking me how to figure hatch rates

Expected Hatch Rate

Don’t count your chickens before they are hatched, or even after for that matter!
Shipped eggs have a MUCH lower hatch rate.
The percent hatchability in the commercial poultry industry ranges from 78-88%.

Percent Fertility is the percentage of fertile eggs of all eggs set.
% Fertility = # of fertile eggs
# of total eggs set

Percent Hatchability is the percentage of fertile eggs which actually hatched out as live young.
% Hatchability = # of eggs which hatch out
# of fertile eggs

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1090/2902-1090_pdf.pdf

I will update on my duckie that is still in the hatcher with images or video

I finally took him out of the shell, despite the humidity of 85% he has not drawn in or utilized his yolk.
He had gunk and membranes dried all over him and his sack, so I ran warm water over him and did my best to dry him without disturbing his drying yolk sack.

I have been spraying his yolk sack GENEROUSLY with veterycin umbilical gel WARMED every 2 hours since about 5 am, and spraying the paper towel I have in his cup also very generously with the veterycin umbilical gel. He is very very alert and very strong, if it hadnt been for this I would have culled him by now. I am amazed to be honest. I put a few little grow gel balls in his mouth and offered warm provits solution afterwards and the little stinker actually ate it! and I am trying to offer it every 15 minutes.

Last time I checked his navel/umbilical yolk is now drying fast and seems to be absorbing more and only a small stump like thing remains, but I do see the yolk in the abdomen and its protruding and not sure I should see it like that. but again its receding, I hope I can get a pic of it next time I change his papertowl and spray his yolk.

I am torn with this ducky, I really need to sterilize that incubator because I should be moving my next hatch into it, tomorrow is day 18 and some are serama. maybe I will dig out the styro and bring it upstairs to keep the little booger in.

CURRENT duck eggs in cabinet......tomorrow is weighday today is 13 I am still worried about weight loss in the next batch, I can suggest to dont be shy on sanding and dont use the smaller grits like I did! AND for sure its better to sand the eggs before you set them than during like I have too! That jarring cant be good. I am learning big time. I may actually dig out my dremel and buy special grits should I do these eggs again just so I dont have to jar around the eggs.

video and pics later of the sick duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom