Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every shipping eggs you need to settle 24 hour before you set .Than you bring in !
Margitas! you have some great looking birds! I take it that you have rcvd quite a few shippments of eggs! lol Thanks for the help!

AIR Cell Question: when you first recieve eggs and candle will the air sack move when you get the eggs? Most of mine move freely and thee of the 12 dont move much! silkie eggs look porous I will post pics of what I got and 2 cracked egg, one in package and other hairline.

THESE ARE WHAT WE GOT...

I just found this site....
http://www.squidoo.com/mailed-shipped-fertilised-chickens-eggs-fertilized-hatching-chicken-egg
A normal air cell in a freshly laid egg are dime sized up to quarter sized in a week-old or older egg, and fixed at the fat end and just looks like a line when candled.

From rough shipping it is possible to see detached, loose or rolling air sacs as seen in the picture.
draft_lens17940528module150148144photo_1305656061Camera_april_2011_017.JPG
For those eggs, you need to change your hatch plan. They have to sit 24 hours always pointy end down, to see if the aircells will reattach, about half of them will in my experience. Either way, leave them in the egg carton for all 21 days of the hatch. Stop turning early at Day 16 not 18. It is possible to hatch chicks from eggs with detached air sacs when the cells never stabilized even after 24 hours, but were left upright for hatch. Make sure any turning is gentle, and no flatter than 45 degrees, more vertical is better! Disrupted, shattered or ruptured air sacs are seen when instead of one bubble on the side of the egg, there are more than one. Handling must be very rough in these situations and I believe can be enough to kill the embryo in the first place. These should have the same treatment as the detached air sac eggs, but don't re-candle after 24 hours, these won't reattach. Just having the air bubbles rising to the top of the eggs at the fat end while hatching the eggs vertically in trays gives any chicks that do grow chance to pip into the air cell. Likelihood of a chick hatching is lower than intact displaced air cell eggs, but worth a try if the eggs show no sign of spoilage or leaking.

Suggestions for Management of Damaged and Mal-positioned Egg Air Cells https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t-of-damaged-and-mal-positioned-egg-air-cells "These eggs should then be set into the incubator in a vertical position and not turned for 36-48 hours, after that turning by tilting side to side at a 45 degree angle helps to keep the air at the top. Otherwise leave well alone and dont remove for weighing. During the second week the chorio-allantoic membrane (generously supplied with blood vessels) grows out from the chick to line the complete inner surface, including the air cell. Think of it as inflating a balloon within an already inflated balloon. The air cell is now resealed and from 15 days can be treated normally though gentle handling is needed."

http://skeffling.hubpages.com/hub/C...tting-the-most-chicks-from-your-hatching-eggs "For rolling, detached or disrupted air cells (so cells no longer at fat end of the egg but like a spirit level bubble on the long side), you’ll need to change your hatch plan. They need to sit 24 hours always pointy end down, to see if the cells will reattach. Leave them in the egg carton for all 21 days of the hatch. Stop turning early at Day 16 not 18. I have hatched chicks from eggs with detached air sacs where the cells never stabilized even after 24 hours, but were left upright for hatch. Make sure any turning is gentle, and 45% or more vertical.
7. If you have to let them sit a few days before incubating, after the first 24 hours, gently tilt the cartons they are in 2 x per day and keep them around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, in a cool basement"

barnie.gif

Last edited:
AIR SACK Question: when you first recieve eggs and candle will the air sack move when you get the eggs? Most of mine move freely and thee of the 12 dont move much! silkie eggs look porous I will post pics of what I got and a cracked egg.

If the aircell is detached, it will float through the egg. This is not a good sign for that egg, but don't toss it just because of that! Go ahead and set it anyways and hope for the best. Increase your chances of hatch by placing the eggs upright (big end up) in a carton in the incubator during lockdown. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it will only help the chances that the chick will pip the aircell.

Air Sacks~ ALL but 3 move like a level!!! NEW game plan? another site with something on air sacks!! Rolling air sacs

http://skeffling.hubpages.com/hub/C...tting-the-most-chicks-from-your-hatching-eggs

"For rolling, detached or disrupted air cells (so cells no longer at fat end of the egg but like a spirit level bubble on the long side), you’ll need to change your hatch plan. They need to sit 24 hours always pointy end down, to see if the cells will reattach. Leave them in the egg carton for all 21 days of the hatch. Stop turning early at Day 16 not 18. I have hatched chicks from eggs with detached air sacs where the cells never stabilized even after 24 hours, but were left upright for hatch. Make sure any turning is gentle, and 45% or more vertical.
7. If you have to let them sit a few days before incubating, after the first 24 hours, gently tilt the cartons they are in 2 x per day and keep them around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, in a cool basement"

idunno.gif

Last edited:
If the aircell is detached, it will float through the egg. This is not a good sign for that egg, but don't toss it just because of that! Go ahead and set it anyways and hope for the best. Increase your chances of hatch by placing the eggs upright (big end up) in a carton in the incubator during lockdown. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it will only help the chances that the chick will pip the aircell.
Yes they all roll except a few and I cant even see a cell in those, some even have bubbles! I just emailed mypet chicken too

(NOTES: CHANGE of HATCH Plan DUE to EGG Cell Damage on most of the 12 SILKIE eggs. Settle 24 hours fat end up in Styro Egg Cartton with the bottoms cut out so that the eggs still get air circulation, heat and do not get condensation under them. Got it!)

(NOTES: CHANGE of HATCH Plan DUE to EGG Cell Damage on most of the 12 SILKIE eggs. Settle 24 hours fat end up in Styro Egg Cartton with the bottoms cut out so that the eggs still get air circulation, heat and do not get condensation under them. Got it!)

Watch you humidity don't go over 45 the first 18 day and last 3 day need 55-60 humidity, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom