Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the chicks, Anna. I've got 8 eggs left in the bator on days 24/25 and I'm torn between letting nature take its course, and getting in there to see what's going on. No pips in them though.

Gorgeous puppies. I won't let my husband see that, he's been pestering me for a dog but I know who will end up taking care of it. Momma's tired of scooping poop from animals who don't make me dinner.

lau.gif
Dh told me after a cat adopted us that I can't have any more animals unless they earn their keep.

I am sad......
I have to make the call tomorrow to set up processing for 4 roos, my cochin roo and 3 brahma roos its really bothering me but I need to get past this. I decided to stay inside the rest of the day as I keep finding myself watching roosters and admiring their beauty. I can get through this and move on, and perhaps next step will be raising meaties which I wish I could be doing.

Did anyone ever run into a thread that will help me through this part of chicken keeping? heck I wouldn't even know what to search for. I did sit and look at images of big production plants and such, and I know how much more healthier and better doing our own meat is but still need some support here.

I just don't get it, why when I get so old do I get so tender footed? Beats me
hmm.png
and I am even psyching out thinking I will be abled to tell which bird is who by size and all that, heck I may just end up sick as a dog getting meat returned. But I wont know until I do it.

Confession of the day.....

I am a woosie how ever you spell that
Me too!!!! I want to raise for meat as well and keep hoping that if I start to hatch and get over run with rosters it will be easier to do! so far we have eaten one of mine... it was killed by a stray dog before my dogs ran it off :( I could not stand to let it go to wast so I skined it, let it rrefregerate for 24 hours and put it in a stew.... it was great... but I felt kinda wierd eating it.... I NEED to get over that!!!! I dont want to support the chicken meat indistry! and know this is the better way....

maybe we could start a support group.....we could name it " support group for 1st time chicken"..... (need a word better than killers!
idunno.gif
) maybe harvesters???? or "support group for people who want to eat their chickens" (still sounds bad).... or "support group for people raising chickens for meat" (that one sound better)
big_smile.png

I am sad......
I have to make the call tomorrow to set up processing for 4 roos, my cochin roo and 3 brahma roos its really bothering me but I need to get past this. I decided to stay inside the rest of the day as I keep finding myself watching roosters and admiring their beauty. I can get through this and move on, and perhaps next step will be raising meaties which I wish I could be doing.

Did anyone ever run into a thread that will help me through this part of chicken keeping? heck I wouldn't even know what to search for. I did sit and look at images of big production plants and such, and I know how much more healthier and better doing our own meat is but still need some support here.

I just don't get it, why when I get so old do I get so tender footed? Beats me
hmm.png
and I am even psyching out thinking I will be abled to tell which bird is who by size and all that, heck I may just end up sick as a dog getting meat returned. But I wont know until I do it.

Confession of the day.....

I am a woosie how ever you spell that

Is this something that you have decided that you need to do?

If not, then why not try to find homes for them through craigslist. I have had pretty good luck with it, especially with my cochins. A lot of people like the beautiful gentle giants to watch over their back yard flocks. When I had to find a home for the blue cochin rooster that attacked Alexander, I had 3 people wanting him by the end of the night. He went to a great home.

Me too!!!! I want to raise for meat as well and keep hoping that if I start to hatch and get over run with rosters it will be easier to do! so far we have eaten one of mine... it was killed by a stray dog before my dogs ran it off :( I could not stand to let it go to wast so I skined it, let it rrefregerate for 24 hours and put it in a stew.... it was great... but I felt kinda wierd eating it.... I NEED to get over that!!!! I dont want to support the chicken meat indistry! and know this is the better way....

maybe we could start a support group.....we could name it " support group for 1st time chicken"..... (need a word better than killers!
idunno.gif
) maybe harvesters???? or "support group for people who want to eat their chickens" (still sounds bad).... or "support group for people raising chickens for meat" (that one sound better)
big_smile.png

I have 4 roosters for the chopping block. DH has a friend coming out this afternoon maybe hopefully to process them. Processing day support group. I sold 2 extra pullets and did try to sell the cockerels and roosters but no one wants them. I guess if we are ever going to be self sufficient processing chickens will be part of that...
hit.gif

I have 4 roosters for the chopping block. DH has a friend coming out this afternoon maybe hopefully to process them. Processing day support group. I sold 2 extra pullets and did try to sell the cockerels and roosters but no one wants them. I guess if we are ever going to be self sufficient processing chickens will be part of that...
hit.gif

Oh and one of the ducks might get the chopping block. He keeps attacking my feet.

Quote: Dude! you made it there! you cleaned and ate it! OMG!!! the processor says he charges 1.50 bird, but I think if I ask him to cut it up he will charge more, but perhaps for the first few times I should pay extra so I don't have visions dancing in my head eh?

Quote: yes, we need to take this step and I really want to make this step, we are not vegetarians by far. And I spend a lot of cash on chicken meat too.
I put a lot of feed into these huge roosters and I cant afford to just go giving adult birds away, plus I breed now so I cant give away my breeding chickens or someone down the road will be selling them right next to me. If I could turn vegetarian and be honest with myself then things would be different, but now I am honestly a meat eater and as these generations go by we are loosing touch with reality and whats on our plates..... OMG I am giving my own therapy aren't I!

Ive been selfish!!!!
hide.gif
and have not shared picts of my 1st ever hatch.... took a full week, last one hatched last night..... All had NO AIR SACK AT ALL and ALL WERE 100% ASSISTED after pip as none could zip.... two could not even pip! ALL are HEALTHY AND HAPPY we have 14!!!!!!!!!
love.gif
bow.gif

thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom