Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i just got back from friends house and he has a broody hen that is trying to set on one artificial egg. So i'm going back tonight to get her. She is a pretty small, so i'm only going to set 7 of the 14 eggs under her, and hold the other 7 back a week and then put them in with the ducks, turkey's, and guinea's. That way maybe one of the two methods will work out ok. Thank you all for your advice. I do have a couple of questions that i can't find definite answers on. First should i remove the air vent plugs from incubator for the first 10 days, and then leave them in until the eggs hatch or put in the plugs for 10 days and then remove them after. Second since i don't have an automated turner, is ok to put the eggs in an egg carton inside the incubator and turn them by hand 7 times a day. If that is ok, how many eggs per carton, and what type of carton, cardboard or styrofoam? Also should i cut holes into the bottom of the carton for eggs to breath? And Sparky, i'm new here, but my prayers will be with the students at your school. That is so sad to hear. My mom is the head of the local Relay For Life cancer fund raiser here in my area, i've seen way too many young people with this horrible disease.

Only have a couple minutes, I'm in the middle of making dinner and will be on later.

Not a happy camper today. Why can't things just go smoothly for a little while? I'm so tired.

The turkey eggs that were MIA I mentioned not long ago showed up today. The seller didn't tell me they were coming, so they spent the last 4 hours crammed in my mailbox in the sun. Thankfully, none are broken but it only decreases the panic by a degree or two.

How long does it typically take for a seller to verify fertility before they start shipping eggs? Last I spoke to this person, March 29th, they didn't have any eggs at all and I was 6th on the list for eggs. Now I have 8 eggs sitting in a carton on my counter.

Holy crap, turkey eggs are huge compared to chicken eggs! I'm thinking my way of sitting them in a cut down carton in the coolerbator and tipping them back and forth isn't going to work very well. I'm hoping I'll be able to lie them on their sides on top of the cartons and turn that way?

Eggs were wrapped in bubble wrap and in the shavings big end up. These were packed very tight. I had to really dig to get them all out. The supports are incredibly strong. Then it also had tin foil on the top and bottom. They guy who shipped is an old timer (like real old timer not Oz old timer) and he has been doing it this way forever and has had good luck with it. I have 15 out of 19 in lockdown so I think it works well.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the bator with the aquarium tubing hanging out. It is run thru the middle hole and into the biggest water well. I use a medicine thing to push water thru the tube into the well. No vent holes closed. They stay open the whole time.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well i just got back from friends house and he has a broody hen that is trying to set on one artificial egg. So i'm going back tonight to get her. She is a pretty small, so i'm only going to set 7 of the 14 eggs under her, and hold the other 7 back a week and then put them in with the ducks, turkey's, and guinea's. That way maybe one of the two methods will work out ok. Thank you all for your advice. I do have a couple of questions that i can't find definite answers on. First should i remove the air vent plugs from incubator for the first 10 days, and then leave them in until the eggs hatch or put in the plugs for 10 days and then remove them after. Second since i don't have an automated turner, is ok to put the eggs in an egg carton inside the incubator and turn them by hand 7 times a day. If that is ok, how many eggs per carton, and what type of carton, cardboard or styrofoam? Also should i cut holes into the bottom of the carton for eggs to breath? And Sparky, i'm new here, but my prayers will be with the students at your school. That is so sad to hear. My mom is the head of the local Relay For Life cancer fund raiser here in my area, i've seen way too many young people with this horrible disease.
I would candle the eggs and give the hen ones that have good air cells.

see the quote I had already written above about how to set eggs depending on air cells, I use both egg cartons HOWEVER never paper at lockdown, and yes, cut the bottoms out so good air flow gets to them ( I added images in the shipped egg section of the Hatching 101 Article.

this is from hatching 101 article
Areas of MOST IMPORTANCE in Hatching EGGS

Ventilation (Oxygen), Temperature, Humidity, Egg Turning/Positioning

VENTILATION (OXYGEN)
Ventilation is VERY important during the incubation process. While the embryo is developing, oxygen enters the egg through the shell and carbon dioxide escapes. The embryo's oxygen requirement will increases during development and especially just before hatching when they begin lung functions. Unobstructed ventilation holes, both above and below the eggs, are essential for proper air exchange.

HOWEVER New Studies (Show Dr.Bramwell Discussion) have found that a slight decrease in oxygen the first 10 days (ONLY the first 10) creates a natural higher CO2 level which will naturally build in the incubator and add a little stress to young embryos which will force the embryo to survive and grow stronger, hatch earlier, hatch larger, grow stronger, grow faster and yeild more muscle mass at 6 weeks of age. PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch! NOTE: When Lockdown occurs, vent openings are frequently restricted in an attempt to boost incubator humidity. Instead of helping the chick hatch, the chick is suffocated from lack of oxygen. Never decrease ventilation openings at hatching in an attempt to increase humidity. Increase humidity by other methods. If any vent adjustments are made, they should be opened more. Try adding a dampened sponge or towel to help boost humidity during lockdown.

Last edited:
Only have a couple minutes, I'm in the middle of making dinner and will be on later.

Not a happy camper today. Why can't things just go smoothly for a little while? I'm so tired.

The turkey eggs that were MIA I mentioned not long ago showed up today. The seller didn't tell me they were coming, so they spent the last 4 hours crammed in my mailbox in the sun. Thankfully, none are broken but it only decreases the panic by a degree or two.

How long does it typically take for a seller to verify fertility before they start shipping eggs? Last I spoke to this person, March 29th, they didn't have any eggs at all and I was 6th on the list for eggs. Now I have 8 eggs sitting in a carton on my counter.

Holy crap, turkey eggs are huge compared to chicken eggs! I'm thinking my way of sitting them in a cut down carton in the coolerbator and tipping them back and forth isn't going to work very well. I'm hoping I'll be able to lie them on their sides on top of the cartons and turn that way?
they are huge, if the air cells are intact you can treat them like any other egg!

Eggs were wrapped in bubble wrap and in the shavings big end up. These were packed very tight. I had to really dig to get them all out. The supports are incredibly strong. Then it also had tin foil on the top and bottom. They guy who shipped is an old timer (like real old timer not Oz old timer) and he has been doing it this way forever and has had good luck with it. I have 15 out of 19 in lockdown so I think it works well.

oh cool! and cheap! lol
Here is a pic of the bator with the aquarium tubing hanging out. It is run thru the middle hole and into the biggest water well. I use a medicine thing to push water thru the tube into the well. No vent holes closed. They stay open the whole time.

Sally, she was stuck for nearly 20 hours... I made what I can only describe as a "chickie jump-up" for her and have had her in it for most of the afternoon. After about an hour in it, she already seemed to be able to stay upright a bit better. I tried taking her out and putting her in a playpen like the article said, but she would just lay on her back with her feet propped up. I can't leave her in the jump up when I am not here, so I will put her back in the playpen for the night. She did eat a bit and I have given her a little water. I'll make sure to give her more water before I leave tonight. I would take her home, but my kids have dog training after work, so I'm not going home, and I don't think I can take her to the club with me... Too many dogs that would try to eat her!!

I did cut a hole for her too poop out of after this picture was taken...

This was her after an hour of being in her little sling. It didn't last long and she was back to falling over.

Her sisters cuddling with her...
update please!

Call the CDC or somewhere to investigate about the cancer victims at your school. That rate seems high and should be investigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom