Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
I have a baby girl who was injured, crossing her beak. She's not doing well, wants to eat but can. I made a mush out of the food, but I still can't get it in her. I'm gonna see if I can get it in the syringe. I cut her beak a bit but I HAVE to do it more, it's about halfway cut through the top section.

Any ideas on what to do?

Hi all,

I am not sure if my girl goes in this thread or not... but I wanted to get your opinion on if she would turn into a crossbeak.

My black frizzle cochin bantam is almost 4 weeks old. Over the last week or two I have noticed her beak is getting crooked. So far, it seems like both beaks are aligned. Do any of you have experience with this? Any suggestions for what I should do for her?

She seems to be eating and drinking ok so far... growing along with her flockmates (easter egger bantams... she's the only cochin bantam).

It is most likely sour crop. Massage her crop, and decide what treatment you want to use. She is young for yogurt. Antifungals and Epson salt are recommended.

Hi all,

I am not sure if my girl goes in this thread or not... but I wanted to get your opinion on if she would turn into a crossbeak.

My black frizzle cochin bantam is almost 4 weeks old. Over the last week or two I have noticed her beak is getting crooked. So far, it seems like both beaks are aligned. Do any of you have experience with this? Any suggestions for what I should do for her?

I would start trimming and fling the beak now. Go slow and wrap them into a blanket to keep them still and calm. Work slow, but be sure to keep it as far back as you can. This exactly how mine started and I am trying to see if I can get it back into a better alignment with careful filing and trimming down. Be sure to provide a food source it can get into, as well as water. As long as she is getting those you should be good. :) Easier to get a handle on it now because it will get worse as it grows. Good luck!

Last edited:
I would start trimming and fling the beak now. Go slow and wrap them into a blanket to keep them still and calm. Work slow, but be sure to keep it as far back as you can. This exactly how mine started and I am trying to see if I can get it back into a better alignment with careful filing and trimming down. Be sure to provide a food source it can get into, as well as water. As long as she is getting those you should be good. :) Easier to get a handle on it now because it will get worse as it grows. Good luck!

How do I know where to file? What do you use to file/trim?

I'm not sure if it will grow back... and the chicken... pregnant? I'm confused.

You can treat her for the injury and she can learn to live with it, and eventually some will grow back - may not look the best but it will grow, beaks always do, very slowly.

How do I know where to file? What do you use to file/trim?
I use a pedi paw to file/ trim the beaks. You should be able to see the quick line just like a dog or cats nail. If you go slow and take breaks you should see a little red dot of blood before you actually get blood. But if you keep checking for the quick line you shouldn't even see the red dot. My mom has a twisted beak hen like your little one. She hasn't needed hers trimmed yet and eat/ drinks just fine

Back
Top Bottom