Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
You can not stop the process. Some shave the beak to try to even it up. I never did. I just supplied extra eating opportunities for those affected. As they grew older and in need of more food but unable to obtain it they got more aggressive over the food. All of mine died an early death but I would never have culled them. I just do my best to provide my disabled birds the best quality of life that I can.

This was the flock (at almost 5 weeks old) just minutes before we moved them from their aquarium brooder out in to their new MegaBrooder grow-out pen
Poppy, the only Ameraucana, is on the far right, and as you can see, my dire predictions of a fast decline were completely unfounded. Yes, her beak is crossed, but it hasn't progressed as quickly this past week as it did the first week it started happening.
She is as large, and spry as any of her Australorp flockmates and eats and drinks well, entirely on her own.
I don't expect her to recover, but as long as she has a good, normal quality of life, I am completely willing to allow her to.
Here is the new pen, being enjoyed by all:

Today, she snacked on garden zucchini with everyone, twice as aggressively as anyone.
:)

She most likely will survive but may not thrive. You noted her aggressive feeding. Mine were like that too and as they age their aggression turns to down right meanness as they strive to get enough nutrition. I have watched it many times as I have raised up until natural death at least three crossbeaks. Im glad you are staying optimistic though. She deserves the best life possible. Also, I must say the increase aggressiveness might be due to mine being males. It may be different with a crossbeak pullet.

We have a cross beak hatching right now, also think his/her right eye is messed up, I'll be able to tell more once s/he is out of the shell and dried. But it's like s/he can't close the right eye, left eye is normal.

Silkie, not sure on color but my guess is maybe white.

Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself! I adopted a crooked (NOT cross) beak silkie about a month ago. The whole beak is crooked on the face. I am preying it is a girl so she can be a useful broody, and am not quite sure what I'm going to do if it is a boy! It seems to eat ok and is keeping up with the other silkie's growth. I am hopeful that SHE (i hope) will live a long and normal life! Does anyone know anything about why a CROOKED beak happens? Is it genetic? As a baby
same 4hing happened to my porcelain girl in january. She hatched with a cross beak, and it got better. Then it began twisting and looks alot like your birds beak. If I csn find a pic ill post it for you. My girl bemmie g3ts around jut fine snd is able to eat and do normal chicken things. I would just watch it if it got any mkre worse ;) Lol sorry for the typos in on my tablet

@ChickCrazed here is my tilted beaked silkie hen

My roo Marshmallow has a crooked beak....aside from his lack of breeding capabilities( because of his beak he is not used for breeding in case it is genetic, he is solely a pet) he is a perfectly healthy boy. Eats fine, grew fine, drinks fine...absolutely no health issues at all.

When I get new stock occasionally I will get a defected chick in some way shape or form. I have never culled a single one unless they were distressed in some way that they suffered from their deformity. Sometimes they seem to work a little harder than others to eat or drink, and 99% of the time I have been able to accommodate that with slight alterations in feeding and watering dishes. I feel they all deserve a chance, but I make sure they do not reproduce which can be a very difficult thing to succeed in especially where everyone socializes together...lol

I am so surprised and amazed to report that Poppy's beak has not only not crossed any more, but it has, in fact, aligned once more!
I suspect that I may have to file her top beak a little, from time to time, as it kind of wants to be too long, and interfere with her mouth closing fully. But she is not even on my "watch carefully" list, any more. She eats like a horse and is larger than several of her same-age flockmates.
I am delighted and grateful to be able to share some great news, with this kind group.

I am so surprised and amazed to report that Poppy's beak has not only not crossed any more, but it has, in fact, aligned once more!
I suspect that I may have to file her top beak a little, from time to time, as it kind of wants to be too long, and interfere with her mouth closing fully. But she is not even on my "watch carefully" list, any more. She eats like a horse and is larger than several of her same-age flockmates.
I am delighted and grateful to be able to share some great news, with this kind group.

This is wonderful news!! Thanks for the update. It sounds like she will be just fine!!!

Back
Top Bottom