Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

So I have the sweetest cream brabanter named Kaylee with a cross bill. She seems to be eating fine and keeping up with her brood mates. She is almost 3 months now, and I don't know if there is anything special I should be looking out for as she grows. I don't think the cross is as serious as some of the ones I have seen here, but I know at some point I may have to trim her beak which honestly makes me nervous.

She is the friendliest chicken we have, if I squat down she will jump into my lap or on my shoulder. I recently started bringing my folding chair out to the chicken pen to spend time with them, and Kaylee just makes her sweet self at home walking all over me and the chair! I just really want to be sure I'm doing everything I can for her to keep this quality of life as long as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_113411.jpg
    IMG_20200526_113411.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200430_155546.jpg
    IMG_20200430_155546.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 12
So I have the sweetest cream brabanter named Kaylee with a cross bill. She seems to be eating fine and keeping up with her brood mates. She is almost 3 months now, and I don't know if there is anything special I should be looking out for as she grows. I don't think the cross is as serious as some of the ones I have seen here, but I know at some point I may have to trim her beak which honestly makes me nervous.

She is the friendliest chicken we have, if I squat down she will jump into my lap or on my shoulder. I recently started bringing my folding chair out to the chicken pen to spend time with them, and Kaylee just makes her sweet self at home walking all over me and the chair! I just really want to be sure I'm doing everything I can for her to keep this quality of life as long as possible.
I know it is messy but those who have had success with cross beak babies find that wetting the food makes it easier for them to eat. They will get it all over their face but at least they can eat on their own easier that way. Just wet the crumble and make a sort of porridge out of it for her.

She seems to be doing well eating for now as long as I keep the feed piled deep enough. She also does forage for grass and things on her own. It may take her a few more pecks to get the right angle of attack on the clover and grass but she doesn't get discouraged. Sometimes when I hold her I check and her crop is usually feeling nice and full. I've had to hold her so my Mom could feel that she's getting enough.

i don't trim unless they aren't able to eat, and yes mash is a good alternative, a bit messy, but all of them will like it

Glad I found this thread. Even if just to share pictures and updates..

I have a handicapped Cochin pullet. She doesn't have a cross-beak, but she is certainly disabled. She came from a good breeder, but that particular cross just didn't produce good results. She is missing a toe on each foot, hobbles around like a geriatric turkey, and often loses her balance. She doesn't scratch and rarely pecks at anything other than food in her dish. Her beak and nails grow at a rapid rate due to not getting normal wear from being a normal chicken. So she has spa days often. I did notice her trying to dust bathe for this first time the other day though! As pathetic as it was, at least she tried!

I keep her in her own space with a barrier between her and some of the other girls. The broody chicks enjoy running through the barrier and visiting with her.

Here is Pinecone!
WipeOut48_23_2020_104818.974000.jpg

wha
Glad I found this thread. Even if just to share pictures and updates..

I have a handicapped Cochin pullet. She doesn't have a cross-beak, but she is certainly disabled. She came from a good breeder, but that particular cross just didn't produce good results. She is missing a toe on each foot, hobbles around like a geriatric turkey, and often loses her balance. She doesn't scratch and rarely pecks at anything other than food in her dish. Her beak and nails grow at a rapid rate due to not getting normal wear from being a normal chicken. So she has spa days often. I did notice her trying to dust bathe for this first time the other day though! As pathetic as it was, at least she tried!

I keep her in her own space with a barrier between her and some of the other girls. The broody chicks enjoy running through the barrier and visiting with her.

Here is Pinecone!
View attachment 2165145
What feed is she on? Giving vitamins? She is a sweet looking baby

Mine cane out with one eye and twisted beak he eat n drink fine so far plan to keep him as long as i can named him sloth after the guy off the goonies lol

Attachments

• 370D0F85-E206-448F-993C-10CD17B4B65F.jpeg
    370D0F85-E206-448F-993C-10CD17B4B65F.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 8
Mine cane out with one eye and twisted beak he eat n drink fine so far plan to keep him as long as i can named him sloth after the guy off the goonies lol
deep dishes - sometimes a wet mash helps. I have a facebook crossbeak and special needs group if you are over there. It will shift till about 5 months. They are real personalities lol

Back
Top Bottom