diatomaceous earth…Yay or Nay?

DWilkins

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Have read mixed reviews on using this with dust baths,in roosting boxes and also dusting the birds themselves. I was surprised this can also be used for human consumption. I have delt with scaly legs in the past and wondered if this would be something to use versus a poultry dust.Through the winter I have been using Mite be gone. Keeps the coop smelling good and seems to keep the mites away. Would DE be something recommended to use in addition to their dust baths? It appears that DE is more natural then other pest control products.

Have read mixed reviews on using this with dust baths,in roosting boxes and also dusting the birds themselves. I was surprised this can also be used for human consumption. I have delt with scaly legs in the past and wondered if this would be something to use versus a poultry dust.Through the winter I have been using Mite be gone. Keeps the coop smelling good and seems to keep the mites away. Would DE be something recommended to use in addition to their dust baths? It appears that DE is more natural then other pest control products.
Highly not recommended, it's harmful to the lungs when inhaled, & it does nothing for lice/mites/internal parasites.

I have used Poultry dust in the past . Was just curious if DE was a better alternative. Thank you for your response.

I have used food grade diatomaceous earth along with other things only indoors and only where it won’t be kicked up into the air and places I didn’t want pesticides (for example, I very lightly dusted the interiors of my cabinets before moving in). It isn’t the most effective and you definitely don’t want it places where it will get kicked up in the air and breathed in - it functions to kill bugs because it is basically little microscopic knives. You don’t want those in lungs 😬😬. In my experience it seems to deter bugs from an area more than kill them. So if you want ants away from the cabinets, put on a good mask and very very lightly dust in there. Like barely even visible. But don’t expect them to all die. Just to crawl other places. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom