DIATOMACEOUS EARTH For red mites - Ordered some anyone else use it?

Quote:
I've used it from the first day, and never seen any mites on the chickens. My friend uses it in her goat feed to keep the goats from having worms.

We love it! However, it's much cheaper buying in a local store. Our 50# bags are around $15.00. Make sure you have the food grade. I don't have a single bug in the coop and it helps keep the odor down.

Quote:
I've used it from the first day, and never seen any mites on the chickens. My friend uses it in her goat feed to keep the goats from having worms.

X2 Been using it from day one. I have it in the sand on the floor of their house, in their pine shavings in their nest boxes, in the areas where they dust bath and in their feed. I check them randomly as I pick one up or I'll go out at night with a flashlight at night to check them and have never, ever seen one on them or in their run.

And I know I have them because I find them on the rose blooms I bring in the house from time to time.

I'm new to DE too. I thought it would have a more sandy texture, but what I've got is like grey talcum powder.

How much should I use in the pen, food, etc., and how often? I tried pouring out of the bag, but I think I need to use a more consistent application method.

I also use food grade diatomaceous earth and have never had any problems with mites. I sprinkle it in my chickens' food daily, around the coop and in their dusting areas.

There are different granulations of DE but I have heard that the powder works best for pest control. A light layer sprinkled around the pen will get the job done. If the area to which you have applied it get wet re-apply, as it will wash away quite easily. I prefer to just sprinkle the product from the bag with a scoop (I use Red Lake Earth Diatomaceous Earth and it spreads quite well using this method).

As for use in their feed, I sprinkle a bit on top every morning (just make sure the amount that you feed your chickens doesn't exceed 2% of their daily feed).

Back
Top Bottom