• depends on how you use it

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • no idea

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • useless

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Pics
I've often wondered if DE is actually safe for poultry.

What do you guys think?
I have had no issues with DE.
I have used it in food, in coop bedding and in dust bathing areas with no issues :) however, I always use food grad DE.

These are the two brands I have. I have not had the chance to use the pink bag yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-102640_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210708-102640_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210708_102558.jpg
    20210708_102558.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 0
Side note: I originally got DE for a moth and beetle problem in my beehive and I now use DE for my flower & herbs to deter/kill insects. My mom also borrowed it to use on a nest of barn swallows, they had a massive mite infestation, and were very weak.. Im sure the chicks would have died had we not used DE.

I practically use it for everything now.

Useless.

I do actually make use of the stuff, of horizontal 2x4s in my shed to slowly desicate beetle, roaches, and leave the occasional evidence of a new mouse checking out the food pantry - but it works very slowly, and only when very dry. Stirred up, its a respiratory irritant. Damp, it clumps and does nothing.

Chicken coops attract moisture, which you are trying desperately to avoid, and house little dinosaurs with sensitive respiratory systems trying to stir things up. Exdactly what you don't want when using DE. So why would you???

Yes, its good for grain mites. Given dry feed, and enough time. Better to keep the mites out in the first place - your feed shouldn't be sitting around attracting bugs, and should be kept dry. The addition of DE to feed appears to be a form of insurance against the consequences of potential long warehousing periods, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom