Votes: 6 20.0%
  • depends on how you use it

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • no idea

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • useless

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Honestly, I've not looked into it extensively. Not to plead ignorance, but...

Most studies are for humans. and involve skin contact (as it turns out, we are MUCH more harmful to permethrin than permethrin is to us - enzyme reactions on our skin (and all other mammals, except cats who have much less of the needed enzyme) break it down pretty fast, such that less than 2% of what we contact is absorbed. Then our liver pretty quickly handles the rest. There have been studies of it ingested - again, typically no long term effects even with serious quantities involved. Same with the rat studies. and inhaled. Same/same.

But no equivalent studies for poultry, that I'm aware of.
This is reassuring. I was even a little paranoid of using it for the fear of inhaling it myself! It hasn't harmed my chickens at this point, so if I ever need to use the spray I may have the confidence to! I also have a bit of run off into a pond so I'd just have to be extra sure that we aren't expecting rain when I use it. I appreciate all this information, I learn something new everyday on BYC. :)

This is reassuring. I was even a little paranoid of using it for the fear of inhaling it myself! It hasn't harmed my chickens at this point, so if I ever need to use the spray I may have the confidence to! I also have a bit of run off into a pond so I'd just have to be extra sure that we aren't expecting rain when I use it. I appreciate all this information, I learn something new everyday on BYC. :)
Its a long, boring read, with lots of science-y $#!+, but this should be reassuring.

one of the many study summaries - "
  • Guinea pigs, dogs, and rats were exposed to aerosolized permethrin for 13 weeks, five days per week, six hours each day. Concentration levels used in the experiment were 125, 250, and 500 mg/m3. At the highest dose tested, rats experienced tremors and convulsions in the first week only. The guinea pigs and dogs exhibited no clinical signs of poisoning throughout the experiment.14

I’d be willing to bet you brought your issues inside from the feed store. That almost happened to me a couple weeks ago.
I totally did. Their bags were crawling with them when I went back. Absolutely disgusting. I don't go there anymore, but now I stare at every bag before bringing it home. I imagine I look like a crazy lady, but I don't care. YOU WEREN'T THERE LINDA. You didn't go through what I went through!

The food grade is useful mixed into feed to prevent grain mite infestations.

That is it. The rest is snake oil and wives tales.
Some parrot breeders have used Sevin Dust sprinkled around and in the nest boxes to control ants getting in there. Has anyone used this, or is it considered too volatile a product?

What do you guys think of this?

39086_L_vvs_000.jpg

Its a long, boring read, with lots of science-y $#!+, but this should be reassuring.

• Guinea pigs, dogs, and rats were exposed to aerosolized permethrin for 13 weeks, five days per week, six hours each day. Concentration levels used in the experiment were 125, 250, and 500 mg/m3. At the highest dose tested, rats experienced tremors and convulsions in the first week only. The guinea pigs and dogs exhibited no clinical signs of poisoning throughout the experiment.14
This:

Signs of Toxicity - Animals​

• Dermal exposures to cats and dogs may cause temporary paresthesia and neurological signs as evidenced by paw flicking or ear, tail or skin twitching, or rolling on the ground.5
  • Cats exposed dermally to some permethrin products may experience hyperexcitability, depression, ataxia, vomiting, anorexia, tremors, or convulsions. Symptoms can begin within a few minutes or up to three days after the exposure. Some permethrin products contain high concentrations of the active ingredient and are labeled for use only on dogs. Close physical contact with a recently treated dog may also lead to symptoms in cats. If symptoms are severe and untreated, they may result in death.5,7,10

But topical can be toxic to dogs according to the study causing drooling, paralysis, and other such side effects.
This is one reason I can't use permethrin based products on my current dog since she has had issues with such products as well I had a dog in the past that also had severe reactions to permethrin based products.
With that said, I have used permethrin dust on chickens. But, I can't use sprays due to one of my hens having repiratory issues when sprays if any kind are used.

Back
Top Bottom