• depends on how you use it

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • no idea

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • useless

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Pics
This study, published in the National Library of Medicine, may prove helpful. (click on DOI for full report) It may also explain why it works so well for some, and not others.
IMHO de should do well as a preventive, however, when you have an infestation or sick birds use proven medication. Using de to treat these conditions is probably not going to be very useful.

Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens​

D C Bennett 1, A Yee, Y-J Rhee, K M Cheng
Affiliations expand
Free article

Abstract​

The effectiveness of diatomaceous earth (DE) as a treatment against parasites and to increase feed efficiency and egg production of organically raised free-range layer hens was evaluated in 2 breeds of commercial egg layers [Bovan Brown (BB) and Lowmann Brown (LB)] that differ in their resistance to internal parasitic infections. Half the hens of each breed were fed diets supplemented with DE (2%). Their internal parasite loads were assessed by biweekly fecal egg counts (FEC) and by postmortem examination of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet. In a subsequent experiment, the effectiveness of DE to treat a Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) infestation was tested. Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens.

Thanks for that news.
Im going to assume you have more solid science on the subject than all those doctors and educators at the Avian Research Center with hundreds of years of experience and education behind them.

It works in a bee hive because that is a dry environment. Bees keep it that way by fanning their wings to produce honey. Still takes a bit to kill and is far from instant.
A chicken coop is far from a dry environment. Chickens do everything they can to keep it humid from their breathing to manure. DE is 100% useless once it gets wet and will suck moisture from the air.

Wasn't gonna bring up we use it in bee hives but yeah it does work there for mites. Different conditions so yes it can work but spreading it in a chicken coop doesn't work.

If you have a humid coop you have not enough ventilation.

My coop is dry. The poop dries within a few hours. The DE isn’t wet and works against mite infestations (prevention) on the surfaces where I ‘painted ‘ the wood and the cracks in the wood. Under the bedding I mixed DE with sand against dusting. I never had any lice or mite issues since I used it (6 years). We have lots of bird mite where I live and songbirds come into the coop and run every day to eat with the chickens.

My chickens like dust bathing in sand with DE:
Last week I had a lot of ants and small anthills on our terrace. I sprinkled DE on top of every ant nest I spotted .
Today one of my chickens took a dust bath on the pavement tiles of the terrace. It really looked funny.

The ants were now gone. There were only scattered small piles of sand mixed with some diatomaceous earth on the terrace. Apparently the ideal composition for a scant dust bath. My chicken could also have taken a dust bath somewhere else with a lot more sand. I think the chickens are not crazy and they know well that the DE works great for a clean skin and clean feathers.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Did anyone post about the two types of DE? There is food grade DE (useful for dust baths and you can put about 10% content on feed for internal parasites). And then there is crystalline DE. The crystalline DE is harmful if inhaled by us or our birds. It can also be harmful if ingested. But it's great for no contact areas to control insects such as fleas ticks and mites. Remember though, even food grade can potentially have a very small amount of crystalline but is safe if you mix the dust bath ingredients yourself and then give it to your girls in a kiddie pool or sand box.

Back
Top Bottom