Diatomaceous earth.

It is best mixed into their dust bathing area. It can potentially aggravate their respiratory system if used in a confined space, so just be mindful of how much dust is in the air.

That being said, I've used it for several years as a preventative and it has not caused any I'll health in my flock

As others have mentioned, it is ineffective when wet and would need to be applied in 'large' quantities to handle an outbreak.

It does not harm if ingested and does not require a withholding period for eggs like frontline, or other pest control products, but the trade-off is how much would need to be applied for it to be effective.

If you have an active mite outbreak in a large flock, chemical control will likely be more effective. For a small flock, you could thoroughly dust each bird - working DE into the feathers so it's predominantly close to the skin and then heavily powdering the coop, nest boxes and perches. (As in 1/4-1/8 inch thick, so very, very thorough) and mixing into their dust bath for future maintenance.

Also, as others have said, it does not help in the control of internal parasites.

I don’t feed it to them wet.
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I don’t feed it to them wet.
I use it for a mite treatment if any of my flock get mites, and like multiple members said above, it is useless once it gets wet. To remember that, think of how most mammals are made of water, along with people, therefore, once it is wet, it’s done for. :)

I use it for a mite treatment if any of my flock get mites, and like multiple members said above, it is useless once it gets wet. To remember that, think of how most mammals are made of water, along with people, therefore, once it is wet, it’s done for. :)
Thank you, you explained it perfectly! :hugs
Now, I believe it is high time I wandered over to help out in the unanswered threads forum! See y’all later!:frow
Yep, me too!

It is best
when tossed on ant hills/mounds and not around the chickens at all. There are many people who recommend it for various reasons. One of the only beneficial reasons I can personally think of is mixing it into feed in order to control Indian Feed Moths or Weevils.

The manner in which DE is effective means it cannot work when wet. Which means it serves ZERO purpose for a bird to ingest it. There are some things to be said for dusting in it, but why not use something that will actually work and not cause issues for you or the birds when you breathe it in?

Back
Top Bottom