Diatomaceous Earth

Annie84

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Columbus, MN
Wondering if anyone uses DE with their chickens. How do you use it? I was thinking of adding small amounts to feed, and once they move outside to a coop, dusting the coop with it occasionally, to keep down on pests. Is this how anyone uses it? Any other suggestions? Good or bad experiences? Any other info would be great. We use it for our dogs for pest control, so just looking at the idea of using it with the chickens.

I have tried it before on our chickens and goats and it was just like feeding them and dusting them with flour. It didn't do anything. I know some people claim to have huge success with it, but that has not been my experience.

If you want a natural wormer, I would recommend Molly's Herbals. We use it on all of our animals: goats, dogs, chickens, pigeons. You can read more information on it here: http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/worm-formula-detailed-information

My biggest concern, I guess, it finding a way to keep pests down while still being able to use eggs and/or meat without having a waiting period after treatment. Not to mention, I'd rather not use any chemicals if I don't have to for things
smile.png

I do not feed it. But I periodically add a very light dusting to the coop shavings. I put it down with a flour sifter just above floor level so it doesn't put a bunch up in the air. It is not something that you want to breathe in regularly.

ETA - a 50# bag will last me a couple of years easily with a 12 x 8 coop building. I change pine shavings once each spring. I do not do the deep litter method. The poop boards handle most of the poop and are cleaned daily. Any big, fresh plops on the floor get picked up at the time the boards are cleaned.

Last edited:
Make sure it's food grade, not pool grade. Other than that I know nothing, I tried it a couple of times and didn't feel like it made any signicant difference.
hmm.png

We use it religiously. When we do coop clean out, I sprinkle it in the corners ... where mites are likely to hide, and I also sprinkle it on top of the new shavings. We keep a sandbox for the girls and we've put quite a bit in there for dusting also. I have added it to food on occasion but so rarely I doubt it has had any effect.

No matter how you use it, be sure that your DE is food grade. :)

Make sure it's food grade.

I put some in the dust bath area and I've noticed they do eat it as well as roll in it and work it into their feathers. I use it in the brooder box for smell and once they start taking outside vacations in case of mites.

I don't put it in the coop because we're trying deep litter method.

I'm new to chickens, but I have used Food Grade DE for years around my house and garage, where I do not want bugs. Since it isn't poison, if a animal eats a dead bug, it won't hurt them. I just don't use it in my gardens or compost areas, because I do want bugs there. I had a choke with a lice problem two weeks ago. I bathed her and then when she was dry I brushed her with DE, on her back, neck, under her wings and her underparts... Lice were gone in a day. Because she was inside in a kennel, I had her on a towel, I could see all the dead lice bodies. It really proved it to me. Dead lice are good :eek:)

I am now using it in and around the coop. I figure it can't hurt and my other hens don't have lice... and I am now really looking.

Back
Top Bottom