Dickeys Incubator and Hatcher

cashdl

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2008
Willits
Over the last year I have researched what brand of cabinet incubator to get and was making myself sick trying to pic one. I finally sat my husband down and asked his advice. He isn't a chicken person, but he is a business man and I showed him all the models I was looking at and why I was looking at each one.

The Ova Easy 380 - Really hi tech looking ( he said not a valid reason) It was about $1,100 shipped I think. It only came as an incubator hatcher combo and I really wanted a seperate unit for each, so he eliminated that for me.

The GQF 1500 series - They looked stylish and easy to clean. There were alot of people that love theirs. I could get both a
hatcher and an incubator. For the two units and all the bells and whistles I was looking at $1,800 delivered. OUCH!

The Dickeys - I was really drawn to the wood construction. I like things made with wood. It makes me feel like they are quality I have read good things about dickeys and Mr. Dickey was pleasant to talk to. I could get the seperate incubator and hatcher. With all the bells and whistles they were just over $1,500 delivered.

Custom Incubators - I like the look of them and they wood construction. I liked the word custome. LOL! I liked the idea that I could get them in colors. I could also get each unit seperate. They were about $300.00 each for units I was looking at. A good value I think. I didn't like that I would need to supply my own turners. While my husband liked the price, he eliminated these also because of the turner issue. It would cost us about $45.00 per shelf to add a turner which would take the price up.

We finally settled on the Dickeys because I liked being able to talk to the owner of the company if I had problems, I liked the wood construction, and the price was better than the GQF. Also Mr. Dickeys said the machines were stackable which is a huge space saver. I would just set the humidity tanks on the top unit. It took about 5 days from date of order to receive them.

This weekend while I was out of town at a chicken show, 6 out of 8 babies hatced in my new Dickeys hatcher. Next weekend I will put about 30 in the hatcher. I love my new machines.

Here is my incubation set up. I will stack them once I move them to their permanant home in my laundry room. Right now they are taking up space in my dining room.

Lanae

Congrats on the new digs for your peeps! How many eggs will that bator hold? I love the Araucana but with fertility rates like that it's a project that will have to wait. So cool to have a hatcher you can depend on for mutiple dates too. Have to admit I love the wood too, my DH is a carpenter and my son fixes all kinds of things so I have already been showing them what I want for my birthday.
wink.png
You'll have to let us know how you like them as time goes "Peep"!!
jumpy.gif

My husband and I love wood working also. I built a built in bookshelf in my kitchen for my cook books last spring, and have gottten rave reviews from friends so I feel good about my skills, but the mechanics of the incubator were making me scratch my head. Now that I have these I know that we can replicate it fairly easy when I am ready for more space. Also I wasn't sure how well they would do outside and Mr. Dickey said his are outside in a shed year round, but he doesn't get freezing temps, so I might need to cover them with a blanket like movers use if I want to move them outside.

Lanae

You will love the Dickeys. I bought the Incubator and hatcher with all the bells and whistles a couple of years ago from him. Last year the DW went to an estate sale and called me to get there quickly. I got there just in time enough to bid on brand new in the box Dickey incubator and hatcher(fully loaded). I got them both for a little under $500.00. They are still in the box...lol. My hatch rates are 95% to 100% with the Dickeys and I don't have to constantly monitor them.

Your wife rocks. LOL! That is so cool. I wish we had those kind of estate sales here. I really really love my Dickeys so far and have only had them a week. I hatched in LG still airs with turners for years and my hatch rates were so so, part of that is my choosen breed of chicken, but I am sure the other part was the temp and humidity fluctuations that seemed to be constant.

There was an older Dickeys model at the Stockton Poultry show last weekend. I looked it over just because I can always make room for more, but it wasn't nearly as nice as what I have now ( of course it was older) and I am super pickey.

Lanae

I always thought Dickey was an old out of production Inc.Until I read this .Googled it up.its a great looking machine.cva34
thanks for info.

I am getting one in a couple weeks!!! I am SOOOO excited!!! Getting the 3 tray with a hatching tray, plus all the extras..... This was my first choice last year but got talked into a humidaire redwood. I was saving $200 bucks so I gave it a try. Loved the machine, but the one and only person you can find parts from was rude and had horrible business skills, my personal opinion. So, back to square one!! Sold the redwood and will be getting the upgrade soon!!!

Mr. Dickey is super nice to talk to. I called him after I had set them up because they hum a little more than my husband was expecting ( not bad though) so I called him. He told me how to absorb some of the sound, and then told me that I can stack my two units no problem. I don't think you can do that with the GQF incubators. I told him that I had one set at 99.8 and the other one set at 99.1. He wasn't ok with that because he said I will be able to gently turn the little dial and get them to exactly 99.5. I havn't worried about it because they don't fluctuate at all. Its way better than my LGs, but I will tweak the temp a little better when I have time to watch them. Especially since I plan on having eggs in them non stop year round.

They need to work for the money I spent.

Lanae

I got an only slightly used Dickey Incubator on ebay last summer...
Lucky you that you got a hatcher to go along with it.

I love that the temp stays right on with it!!!!
and the auto turner on it... Whoo hoo!!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

clap.gif

any body that is looking for a cabinet 'bator, should seriously consider one.

I heard that the GQF beep when the auto turner is turning. The Dickys don't make a sound other than the hum from the fan, but that is music to my ears.

I love the clear acrylic door also. The only slight issue would be that I would love the hatcher trays to be about 1 to 2 inches deeper. My chicks arn't huge and there heads touch the lid when they are trying to walk around in the tray. Other than that so far so good.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom