Did a Chicken Shuffle Today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Nov 6, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Suede had only Skye and his black daughter, Delilah, since Velvet died suddenly. I wasn't going to keep DeDe for a breeder due to a couple of faults she has (though, I think she's got a typey build), so, in order to help out MissPrissy with her red Orpington project, I switched DeDe with my RIR/Buff Orp hen, Meg. Meg is not happy about it, but I did see Suede mate her, therefore, in about three weeks, I'll be ready to test her eggs. She laid her first egg today in several months (has been molting). For those who dont know Miss Nutmeg, here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Miss Nutmeg is pretty.. and I looove her name!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I love Meg. I love you for thinking of me and Big Red! Meg is 1/2 orp. Her babies will be 3/4 orp. Also half should be red. Woot!

4. speckledhen

And Meg comes from good stock on both sides, the RIR and the huge Buff Orps that Julie had. My DH said that DeDe was bigger than Meg, but no way. Meg feels like lead when I hold her. DeDe is big, but more fluff than Meg. Meg is very substantial.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    thats is awsome that your colabarating with MissPrissy Like this !!!! Missprissy already getting new blood for the red orphs [​IMG] their not even a breed yet !

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Meg is GORGEOUS!!!

I am curious, who are her parents? RIR Roo with BO hen (if so I am sooo mad that I sold my RIR Roos!) or BO roo with RIR hen?

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    if my RIR ROO mated with my GSL Hen... would the babies be good egg layers? My GSL looks so much like Meg.. but Meg has more pattern. And yes, I know she is not a GSL. [​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Wow,, she's gorgeous, I'll be she and the Nuggetron would have beautiful babies,,,,

9. speckledhen

Meg is RIR rooster over Buff Orp hen. She's my heaviest hen at the moment.

10. speckledhen

Quote:They should be good layers, I'd think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by