Did anyone celebrate Mabon, the Autumnal Equinox yesterday?

SpottedCrow

Flock Goddess
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Weymouth, Massachusetts
I harvested the last red cherry tomato and gave my thanks for the harvest. If we had gotten more water, my garden would have been much much better.
sad.png

But there's always next year.

Most of the Mabon recipes use apples because they're ripening about now, but you can use almost anything...

Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 acorn squash, washed and cut in halves
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of crushed Ritz crackers
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
Wash and cut acorn squash in half from stem to bottom
Scoup out the seeds and rub the inside and cut parts with butter
Put the acorn squash on a cookie sheet
Melt the butter, and mix in the walnuts, brown sugar, and crackers
Place in the holes of the squash and bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until done.
This one sounds really yummy!
Fresh Apple Pound Cake
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 cups firm apples, diced
3 cups plain flour
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
Mix together sugar and oil.
Add eggs and beat well.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
Add to oil mixture.
Stir in vanilla, apples, nuts, and mix well.
Pour batter into a greased 9 inch tube pan
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cake is done.

Icing:
1 stick margarine
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Heat margarine and sugar together over low heat. Add milk and let come to a full boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Drizzle over the cake.

Wild Rice with Apples and Walnuts

1 cup wild rice
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Cook rice and oil in water for 50 minutes.

1 cup walnuts
1 rib of celery, chopped
4 chopped scallions
1 cup raisins
1 red apple, peeled and chopped, set aside in lemon water
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
Combine nuts, celery, onions, raisins, drained apple and lemon rind and set aside.

3 T. lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/3 cup olive oil
pepper, to taste
Whisk together juice, salt and pepper, garlic and oil and add to cooked rice.

Add fruit mixture to the rice (to which has been added oil, spices and juice) and mix well. May be served cold or heated.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and steamed until completely soft
3/4 cup orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
Mix juice, eggs, sugar and spices and blend thoroughly with potatoes using an electric mixer. Spread into a greased 9"x13" pan.

1/2 cup flour
1/4 c plus 2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. chopped butter
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and nuts until crumbly, spread on top of sweet potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I would have but no one reminded me, WHO dropped the ball ?? now I have to wait till next year, please remind me the day before. THANK YOU

Quote:
There is always the Winter Solstice.
big_smile.png

Mark your calander!!!!

PS Spottedcrow, the recipes sound good!! I printed them. I have to give them to my Mom too I was reading the to her over the phone!

Last edited:
Quote:
how do you celebrate winter solstice? I want to do the Acorn squash for it too.

Calender-thats the mon to friday thing with a bunch of numbers on it. Mine still says August, maybe if i had changed it to sept I would have known. No mine doesn't say anything about Autumnal Equinox or Mabon, just first day of fall and Yom Kippur

Okay first day of sukkot is thursday what should I do??

Last edited:
My friend had a welcome to fall party at her place, we all had to bring food that was local only.....everyone did so well. Lots of good stuff from the gardens and farmers markets. Then we all learned how to drum. She hired a couple of ladies to come and teach us, they brought the drums. It was so much fun and so rewarding. One to know how much good food is right here, and another the feeling of beating on a drum.
Spottedcrow the recipes look great, I also printed them off. thank you

Funny enough I ate my first ripe tomato of the year yesterday. My plants are just now fruiting and they are huge. My garden is always funky like that. I am still reeling from the loss of all my solarium members this last winter from freezing temps. At least I keep seed still losing a 7 year old pepper plant is hard.

Bubba

Calender-thats the mon to friday thing with a bunch of numbers on it. Mine still says August, maybe if i had changed it to sept I would have known.

LOL
tongue.png

how do you celebrate winter solstice? I want to do the Acorn squash for it too.

Yes, you can have the Acorn Squash for Winter Solstice. We normally have a BBque because it is the longest day of the year and the everyday after it gets lighter earlier.

No mine doesn't say anything about Autumnal Equinox or Mabon, just first day of fall

Autumnal Equinoxs IS the first day of Fall.

Okay first day of sukkot is thursday what should I do?

Not sure what that is sorry..

googled Sukkot. It is a Jewish Holiday, I thought it might have been seems very interesting!
Seven days long one of the most joyous Holiday.​

Last edited:
Well, we played hooky from church to go boating and fishing because the tide was right. The day was gorgeous, and I was conscious and grateful for the fact that it was the first day of Autumn after a wonderful summer. I used to hate Autumn because of the shorter days, but I'm better able to cope with it now. Maybe because of two great cats who like to cuddle when the weather gets cooler.

I've had my corn dolly hanging in the window to celebrate, but I must admit that I have actually been AWFUL about following the calendar and the solstices for years now.. (Though I always set out cream, fresh bread and some dates on Samhain, somehow I never forget that seasonal holiday).

Ahhh well..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom