Did anyone see this article?

Cost varies so much. For me I spent $0 on fencing because they can free range. $0 on a coop because I used an old grain bin and some walnut trees that needed cut down anyway as roosts. $0 on waterers because they were drinking out of a bucket from the stable and a livestock waterer outside using bricks which were also free to build steps up to it and inside so they wouldn't drown. $13 on hatching eggs, $40 on an incubator, $3 on a feeder, and $10 on feed a month. However I use a dozen eggs maybe every 4months so it still isn't cost effective. In the past year I've spent $100s on eggs, $40 on another still air bator, $100 on a forced air bator, $800 on a bantam coop so I could seperate them from the standards, probably $100 on new feeders and waterers, and recently another $100 on fence to build a bantam pen and fence the nearby garden from and for the chickens. I still give away nearly all the eggs. 2 different extremes for cost just in my household.

Last edited:
I might not break even but he forgot one thing the entertainment value I watch chicken tv and the pure enjoyment I get from my back yard chickens and since I use their poop as fertilizer and my garden has went crazy which means I am producing way more vegtables then I would have gotten so I guess in a way my girls pay for them selves.

I've read studies where they say having pets (which I consider my chickies to be) will lower blood pressure and help you live longer. Can't put a price on that! Plus I love them ;-)

Great artile. I have had people ask me and now I can answer semi intelligently.

I bought my coop so it will take time to recoop my money but that wasn't why I got the chickens. I wanted fresh eggs.

Thanks for posting this.

For me ....I know I spent a bunch on my coop, but it's my hobby and I enjoy it.
ya.gif
Never in a million years would I have thought that I would enjoy it as much as I do.
hu.gif
But when i go out in my back yard and my girls hear my voice and come paste themselves up against the fence to see me....that's priceless!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom