Did breed variety cause pecking order problems? Please help

Quote:
Blue-Kote will cover a multitude of wounds.
smile.png
good luck

Take out the dominant hen for a week or so in a separate area. If your Australorp is still bloody put some blue kote on her. Chickens are naturally carnivorous. They have no problem killing another chicken. See if you can put the australorp back in without the dominant hen.

I've never noticed any pecking order problems in my mixed flocks, everybody seems to get it sorted out if you leave them alone. I have always noticed, though, that breeds stick together, which I think is amazing. I've also noticed that certain breeds are higher and lower on the pecking chain, never in the order you would expect. My OEGB hens are the highest, then the Egyptians and Buttercups.

Aggression in chickens is a little like aggression in dogs. Not all chickens are the same and not all dogs are the same. Conditions can play a part, but some individuals are just a lot more aggressive than others. You can make some breed generalizations, but it often comes down to the blood lines and the individual.

Sometimes dogs need to work things out and sometimes you need to step in or it will get bad. It's the same thing with chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom