Did he sell me all his roos as "hens" warning pic heavy

Ferngully

Crowing
15 Years
Nov 6, 2008
N.E. Florida
I purchased 6 "hens" and 4 "pullets" breed and gender guesses would be helpful as I think he sold me his roos.
Pic 1 two of these:
Picture034.jpg

Pic 2 two of these EE with slate legs
Picture006.jpg

Pic 3 I have no idea what this is suppose to be, all black slate legs
Picture012.jpg

Pic 4 Is a mix of something real sure a roo
Picture001.jpg

Pic 5 no he isnt dead, I caught him set him on the table, started petting and he layed down and went to sleep.
Picture037.jpg

Pic 6, 7,8 the laced he said was a comet lol and 2 he said were rir
Picture040.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture005.jpg

all help would be appreciated as I am near tears with having spent all my chicken money on these, it was almost dark when he "caught" them and threw them in my cages and dark when I made the 2 hour drive home. I know none of the breeds he told me they were are actually as he stated, supposed to be astaulorp, rir, comet, and "araucana" which we know means EE.

The only one I think for sure is a roo is #4. Hard to tell yet on the young two or the one laying on the table.

Edited because I can't count down the pictures correctly!!
roll.png

Last edited:
They all look like hens to me. It looks like you have 1. a New Hamshire,
2. EE (or 1 of those color egg layers), 3. can't tell, 4 and 5 mixes, 6 and 7 Partridge Rocks, 9 Golden comets (sex-links).

4 kinda looks like a roo, but doesn't have any of the rooster feathers (hackles, sickles, etc.)

Last edited:
#4 I think is a roo
#5 I think is a roo...it looks like he has pointed feathers on his neck. He may not be the dominate one so he layed down in submission.

Very pretty flock.

1 can't tell, can you get a more side on shot?
2 my guess is hen
3 can't tell, got a tail shot?
4 I can't tell, s/he's moving so I can't see his/her saddle area.
5 too dark, can't make out feathering or head. but i get a roo-y vibe
6 hen
7 hens
8 hens

Now, that being said...I am nowhere near an expert. I was sold a whole pen of roos as day olds. So... it happens. But they are all nice looking to me!

So I guess I should of said check the neck and and feathers just before the tail.

Rounded=hen
pointed=rooster

But it appears you did get some hens:)

Are you getting any eggs yet? The hens look like mature birds, did he say how old they are?

The only one that looks like a rooster to me is #4 because of it's tall stance, but I'm still not positive on that one (not sure if it always stands like that or just a funny pose). The rest definitely look like pullets/hens to me and you have some very pretty ones. I especially love the easter egger in pic. 4 and the laced one in pic. 6.

As for breeds, I'm not positive on any of them. The black one may be an australorp mix or some kind of game chicken (due to its tall stance. #1 could be a rhode island red. Even if they do turn out to be mixes, it's still a pretty flock and they eggs will taste the same. I'm guessing you don't want to breed since you don't want roosters and that's the only reason you'd really need purebreds.

Back
Top Bottom