1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did he sell me all his roos as "hens" warning pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ferngully, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I purchased 6 "hens" and 4 "pullets" breed and gender guesses would be helpful as I think he sold me his roos.
    Pic 1 two of these:
    [​IMG]
    Pic 2 two of these EE with slate legs
    [​IMG]
    Pic 3 I have no idea what this is suppose to be, all black slate legs
    [​IMG]
    Pic 4 Is a mix of something real sure a roo
    [​IMG]
    Pic 5 no he isnt dead, I caught him set him on the table, started petting and he layed down and went to sleep.
    [​IMG]
    Pic 6, 7,8 the laced he said was a comet lol and 2 he said were rir
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all help would be appreciated as I am near tears with having spent all my chicken money on these, it was almost dark when he "caught" them and threw them in my cages and dark when I made the 2 hour drive home. I know none of the breeds he told me they were are actually as he stated, supposed to be astaulorp, rir, comet, and "araucana" which we know means EE.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The only one I think for sure is a roo is #4. Hard to tell yet on the young two or the one laying on the table.

Edited because I can't count down the pictures correctly!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Pic 4 looks roo to me, but none of the others look like roo's to me.

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    They all look like hens to me. It looks like you have 1. a New Hamshire,
    2. EE (or 1 of those color egg layers), 3. can't tell, 4 and 5 mixes, 6 and 7 Partridge Rocks, 9 Golden comets (sex-links).

4 kinda looks like a roo, but doesn't have any of the rooster feathers (hackles, sickles, etc.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    #4 I think is a roo
    #5 I think is a roo...it looks like he has pointed feathers on his neck. He may not be the dominate one so he layed down in submission.

Very pretty flock.

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

1 can't tell, can you get a more side on shot?
    2 my guess is hen
    3 can't tell, got a tail shot?
    4 I can't tell, s/he's moving so I can't see his/her saddle area.
    5 too dark, can't make out feathering or head. but i get a roo-y vibe
    6 hen
    7 hens
    8 hens

Now, that being said...I am nowhere near an expert. I was sold a whole pen of roos as day olds. So... it happens. But they are all nice looking to me!

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I'd say 1 and 4 are roos and maybe 5. We need a better pic.

8. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    So I guess I should of said check the neck and and feathers just before the tail.

Rounded=hen
    pointed=rooster

But it appears you did get some hens:)

Are you getting any eggs yet? The hens look like mature birds, did he say how old they are?

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The only one that looks like a rooster to me is #4 because of it's tall stance, but I'm still not positive on that one (not sure if it always stands like that or just a funny pose). The rest definitely look like pullets/hens to me and you have some very pretty ones. I especially love the easter egger in pic. 4 and the laced one in pic. 6.

As for breeds, I'm not positive on any of them. The black one may be an australorp mix or some kind of game chicken (due to its tall stance. #1 could be a rhode island red. Even if they do turn out to be mixes, it's still a pretty flock and they eggs will taste the same. I'm guessing you don't want to breed since you don't want roosters and that's the only reason you'd really need purebreds.

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Only roo I see is #4 On 5 I am not sure because he is laying down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by