Did I blow it with my 10 day old White Leghorns

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
I don't think I've held them enough because they don't seem to want to be held or touched. They flap around like crazy whenever I open the brooder lid and try to escape from me when I try to catch them
sad.png

It's not you, it's the breed. Leghorns are skittish and don't like human contact.
sad.png
Maybe you will have one or two that will come around. Good luck. Keep handling everyday and lots of treats.

All of my 10 day old chicks act like that. I am the big scary monster. They havent learned I am the bringer of treats. You think leghorns act scared trying raising ducklings.

Many young chickens are like that. Their instinct is to be afraid of anything and everything so that they stay safe by flying.running away. It is never too late to gain their trust but you will need a lot of patience and bribing them with treats will earn their trust pretty quick.

Prudent caution is what keeps the little chicken alive. At ten days old they are not nearly socialized yet. Stay with it and they may eventually come running to you.

May. Some strains never do become particularly friendly. Others do. But it's too early to know which you have yet.

I was never able to touch mine until she started to lay. I let the chickens decide how much human contact they want. She would jump up on my lap when she was younger but I didn't pet or touch her and she was fine with that. Now, she does the egg squat on a regular basis and makes sure that she is blocking the doorway when she does this! I stroke her back a couple of times and she jumps up, ruffles her feathers, and goes on her way. I have a younger POL leghorn who is even more reserved, so I am waiting to see if she warms up. Just be around your chickens and they will become accustomed to you, although not all will become friendly. Your leghorns will reward you with amazing eggs!
smile.png

I put a hardboiled egg smashed up on a "treat" plate and they all went crazy eating it. Grabbing bits and taking them to corners and snapping at each other like they never had anything to eat before - LOL. They cleaned the plate in no time and are happily chirping away. Boy are they growing fast. And they seem to sleep more now since I switched to a red heat lamp - the white one died so I thought I'd try a different color and they seem to prefer the red.

I was wondering if I missed the window with my 6 week old BR's... thanks for asking the question and for all the great encouraging answers.
I got BR's specifically because I heard they were very docile and friendly... can't wait!
ya.gif

I got my chickens when they were 17 weeks old. Although they still won't let me pet them, they do come running now when I bring them treats. My guess is that they'll never be the cuddly pets that some people have - but they generally aren't afraid of me anymore and they know that I'm the one that brings them food, water and treats.

Back
Top Bottom