Did I buy a problem?

Bird Brain

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Hixson, TN
I just bought some silkies off of craigslist last night. The roosters woke me up at 5am and I went outside to be annoyed that I cant shut them up, and in the cage with the red silkies, I can hear the hen breathing. I think its the inhaling she is having problems with. It almost sounds like pneumonia to me. Right after she sneezes or coughs or whatever it is, she seems to sound better. And now I dont hear her at all. Any suggestions?

From your comments I'm guessing you didn't quarantine them?
hide.gif

You might want to search the forums for various respiratory ailments, I'm guessing you did "buy a problem". You should always quarantine new birds for AT LEAST a month before mixing in with your flock.

How many chickens do you have besides the two from Craigslist? You may want to call your local agricultural extension and talk with them about this - you may have introduced a pathogen to your flock. Good luck, sorry this does not look good...
sad.png

Well how far away do they need to be away from my other birds to consider them quarentined? They arent with my birds yet, but arent far either.

Any ideas anyone on what my bird has or what I can do?

Keep them as far away as possible. YOU can easily spread a pathogen also.

I'd get rid of them ASAP. Call the person you bought them from and get your money back.

I HAD TO CULL MY ENTIRE FLOCK BECAUSE OF A SICK RED SILKIE!

Review this page:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwhjQ6Yng877iz_JNiCN1IQ

Spook's Chicken Cold Page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=9241

Look up your state here for testing:
http://www.bah.state.mn.us/animals/poultry/exports.html

Good MG Info:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS034

Last edited:
Thanks for the info PurpleChicken. I wonder if it was stress, although I don't know if stress can do that to a bird. But she doesnt seem to be having a problem when I went out a little bit ago. I couldnt hear her breathing or anything. Just wondering if I jumped the gun on this. But I will keep them seperated from my other birds.

Although now that I think about it, my cats pant when stressed. Cheeto was ticked durring his car ride today. I hope I am just over reacting.

I recently bought some birds off Craigslist, too. I was really impressed with the setup at the farm and all the birds looked healthy, but as soon as I got home I began having a problem with one hen. At first I chalked it up to stress and heat, but her health tanked.

I isolated her immediately and have been treating her (and the others) for the past 6 days with Sulmet for what I believe is Coryza. The others are doing alright, but she's one sick hen still.

Keep her in isolation until you're sure.

Quarantine should be far, far away from the flock, where airborne pathogens can't spread, but PC is correct. Since you cannot see germs, you could accidentally contaminate your flock. This is exactly why I never, ever buy started birds. HUGE risk.

Also, quarantine is not so you can treat a disease. Quarantine is so if any symptoms arise, you can cull them and never add them to your flock. Under no circumstances, give antibiotics to quarantined birds, ever. That may mask symptoms that will tell you what you need to know about your new birds. Even then, they can still be permanent carriers of something that may not show itself even during a six week quarantine.

I've sold birds before. No one has ever had them experience symptoms like that, that I'm aware of, even changing environments. Stress only brings out what's already there, infection/disease-wise.

My BSL girl, Penny, will pant when she is scared or stressed, and she makes little gaspy panting noises. She used to be terrified of being picked up, and panted whenever i did, but then a minute or so after being released she was perfectly fine again. I hope it was just stress and nothing worse
smile.png

What exactly is the definition of? "Keep them as far away as possible" "Quarantine should be far, far away from the flock"

Are you talking 10 feet, 100 feet, a mile? What if one's flock free ranges, is in an enclosed garage for quarantine adequate?

Back
Top Bottom