Did I crush my duck? Can I do cpr?

brileemichaud

Hatching
Mar 29, 2023
Guys I found a duckling outside and saved it from a cat. It wouldn’t sleep unless it was in my bed and it was alive less than two hours ago but it moved and when I woke up it was dead. Did I crush it? Can I save it? Do I kill my baby duck?

:welcome

With cat wounds, the bacteria caused by that cat would have killed it. It's a major issue, so much so that my closest wild bird rescue won't come to me if I have a bird that was attacked by a cat. That's because they know the bird won't survive, and sometimes the bird won't even live long enough for them to reach me.
If the duckling is already dead, then no, you can't save it. :(

So sorry for your loss. :hugs Unfortunately, I think he did get smooshed in the night. Ducklings (and pretty much any other animal) are just too fragile to sleep with. I know you had the best of intentions, so try not to beat yourself up about it. Plenty of other people have been in the same boat. Learn from your mistakes and continue to trudge forward in life.

If you ever happen to be in the same situation, opt for placing the baby in a brooder box next to the bed instead of in the bed.

Back
Top Bottom