Did I do right?

gpguy

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Coleville, CA
I just bought 6 RIR from TSC and when I got home 2 had poop dried to their tails. 1 had a massive amount and the other was not so bad. So I washed them off under a faucet, except the water was cold well water. Not thinking about the possibility of hypothermia. I put them in the coop with the other hens and a few minutes later I noticed they appeared listless and lethargic. I immediately pulled them from the flock and have them in the house under a heat lamp. They seem to be recovering however the one that had the massive of poop on it's tail I'm afraid may not make it. Did I do the right thing by washing them off? If not how should I have handled it in case I run into the same thing in the future? I am a noob when it comes to all things chicks and chickens. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

New chicks should be under a lamp at 95 degree's first week and then drop 5 degree's the next 2 or 3 weeks. When feathered they can go outside. 3.5 -4 weeks. The cleaning should not be the problem.

Well I'm happy to report that both RIR made it through the night. I did remove the other 4 RIR from the coop. Not because of their age, but because my Barred Plymouth Rocks were bullying them. The Cornish Rocks were trying to protect them but the BPR were relentless in the bullying. So I guess the RIR will have to wait a few weeks before going back into the coop. :D

Back
Top Bottom