1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    This is my first winter with my chickens and so far things have been going fine - weather has been wet and cold with one or two small snow falls- but nothing we could not handle.
    Well a few days ago I noticed that Clydes comb has some black spots on it - I dont know what frost bite on a comb looks like so I am guessing that is what this is - I have been putting neosporin on it to help it heal- it has been raining most of the day today making everything wet/ cold and tonight it is going to get really cold-
    I read some where to put vaseoline on bigger combs - but I dont have any on hand DH is not home from work yet
    So I grabbed my chap-stick and brought him in the house and rubbed it all over his comb and tried to get some on his wattles.
    Will this be alright ?? Did I do the right thing ?
    I feel so bad that his little comb has these little black spots - does he feel pain in them ?? I feel awful - like a bad chicken mommy [​IMG]

p.s. could someone post a pic of frost bite please ?
    Julie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    that poor roo - thankfully Clyde is not that bad I guess I found it early enough to try and help him - thank you for the link I still feel bad for the little guy -
    will the chap-stick work till I get the vaseolin ? that is the only I had on hand to try - now he smells real pretty LOL smells like coconut ( not a manly smell but hopefully it will be alright for his ego to handle )

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by