Did I get the Right chicks??

Mar 28, 2021
Hi! I'm new here. My fiance, daughter, and I bought 6 chickens last year ( 3 RSL and a Wyandotte from TSC and 2 EE from private farm). This year we decided to expand our flock with more from TSC. They had all the pullets in one broader (Supposedly Leghorn, Red easter eggers, and Welbar chicks) We decided on 2 Welbar, 2 EE, and one leghorn.. but 2 look like Welbar colors but blue legs, and 2 look EXACTLY like the R Sex Links we got last year.. (the leghorn is the only one we're sure of.) HELP!

Attachments

• 20210328_132742.jpg
    20210328_132742.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 50
Welbars are an established breed they are not hybrids. They only have yellow legs. Slate legs won't change with age.
Idk anything about "red" EEs but id find it hard to believe they would look like those chicks. Idk what crosses would be used to bring in the blue egg genes but produce chicks with that color, yellow shanks and single combs.

Are Welbars often even readily found in the US?? Are you aware if any hatchery has them that TSC would use? Maybe I perceive them to be more rare than they actually are
They are or were extremely hard to find when I was searching.
I found a little hole in the wall breeder that had them and that was it.
I know now that Privett's are offering them and they do supply at least a few TSCs according to a post or two here.

If the two have blue/slate legs they're not welbars.
The two do look like RSL. Single combs right? Yellow legs?

Some of the new red Easter eggers do look very close to red sex links. I wouldn't worry about those, yet.

As for the welbars, looking at the wing feathers, they do look right for that hybrid. Maybe the dark legs fade as they get older.

Some of the new red Easter eggers do look very close to red sex links. I wouldn't worry about those, yet.

As for the welbars, looking at the wing feathers, they do look right for that hybrid. Maybe the dark legs fade as they get older.
Are the red easter eggers a hybrid of RSL and easter eggers? And the yellow legs don't mean they're not easter eggers? Also, the ones with Welsummer markings have slate colored legs...

Are the red easter eggers a hybrid of RSL and easter eggers? And the yellow legs don't mean they're not easter eggers? Also, the ones with Welsummer markings have slate colored legs...
I'm not sure what red Easter eggers have for parents. But some of the starlight blue eggers or starlight green eggers I've seen look much like red sex links, with the white and red coloring, and often no beards or muffs. I would guess that red sex links are used, but just not sure.

I am not sure about the ones with Welsummer markings. They could be olive eggers or some other type of Easter egger. It does seem like they should have yellow legs because both parent breeds do.

Keep in mind that these birds are hybrids, and they are pretty new to the hatcheries. That makes it difficult to tell them apart, because there are so many different kinds, and hybrids are variable by nature, in most cases.

If it was me, I would wait a few weeks at least to see what develops. But if you really had your heart set on specific breeds, you could always sell those chicks and start again.

Welbars are an established breed they are not hybrids. They only have yellow legs. Slate legs won't change with age.
Idk anything about "red" EEs but id find it hard to believe they would look like those chicks. Idk what crosses would be used to bring in the blue egg genes but produce chicks with that color, yellow shanks and single combs.
Are Welbars often even readily found in the US?? Are you aware if any hatchery has them that TSC would use? Maybe I perceive them to be more rare than they actually are

They are or were extremely hard to find when I was searching.
I found a little hole in the wall breeder that had them and that was it.
I know now that Privett's are offering them and they do supply at least a few TSCs according to a post or two here.
Interesting! I always assumed they were on-par or more rare than Rhodebars and those were always very difficult to find 😳 Wild that Privett's carries them. Now if only Rhodebars would start to get stocked.... lol

Back
Top Bottom