Did I Just Shrinkwrap a chick?

Does size have anything to do with hatching problems?
Yes, it can. A wise man told me not to hatch anything outside the range of 55-65 grams. What happens when you set overly large eggs is that the chicks grow larger, which takes longer for them to absorb the yolk sacks, and you'll end up with them hatching just as you saw. Sometimes it works out okay, sometimes it doesn't.

It could very well be environmental changes in the room at night then. That gave me issues as well, so I’m waiting for more stable weather for my next hatch.

If you can bring yourself to, a sharp pair of scissors or a very sharp knife would be my choice for culling the poor thing. It is hard, but in my opinion easier than letting it suffer any longer.
Yes, I opted for sharp scissors the first time, as it seemed fastest and least likely to mess up. Did it over an open container and just sat it all down and walked away after. It's really hard the first time, and never really gets "easy."

It could very well be environmental changes in the room at night then. That gave me issues as well, so I’m waiting for more stable weather for my next hatch.

If you can bring yourself to, a sharp pair of scissors or a very sharp knife would be my choice for culling the poor thing. It is hard, but in my opinion easier than letting it suffer any longer.
Yes, I would. I believe in chances at life but this poor thing is suffering and most likely to die.

To be fair, issues will happen statistically anyway, you'll get malformations and unabsorbed yolk sometimes even when everything is done "just right." But I believe overly large eggs do increase the odds of unabsorbed yolk. It's not your fault, if you don't know, you don't know.

It's good to know about the egg size thing.

Alright, well.... guess I'll be having to cull him then. This is hard!

I recommend really sharp scissors, do it fast and decisively, and walk away. I'm sorry it happened :(

Thanks, and thanks for all the support. I breed & show dogs and my mentors always say it's not for the faint of heart to bring life into this world. There will be some tragic situations and tough decisions. Doesn't make it any easier, even when you brace yourself for the possibility, though.

The last egg hatched, no yolk or anything, perfectly normal like the first two. When I picked up the one with the yolk attached to dispatch... his intestines were hanging out of the large hole in his abdomen. There was never going to be a chance for him.

Back
Top Bottom